Quote Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post
The sibilance on the 170's was stll there but maybe a touch less compared to other speakers I've had. I have the 170's boxed back up and I'm just waiting to hear from Ascend on the return. I tried to remove the logo and reposition it but when I try to remove it part of the grill starts to pull away with the logo and I don't want to tear the grill.
I'm thinking that Curtis (and others) may be right. It sounds like you're going to need to move up a notch or two for the sound you're looking for, since all the speakers in your budget range are sounding similar regarding the "sssssss" frequency. Unfortunately, your budget would have to increase for a speaker with a top-notch dome or ribbon tweeter that will sweeten the top end.

Just out of curiosity, though, can you name some of the CDs that give you problems? Do you get the same results listening to an audiophile quality CD? Because if you do, then something other than the speaker could be at play (as suggested by others), since I had never heard sibilance on the 170s from well recorded CDs.