Thread: MP3 vs CDs on Laptop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MP3 vs CDs on Laptop

Perhaps someone can explain this to me (I am in no way a “technical” person and rely on my rather subjective ears). I have been a subscriber to Emusic.com for a while – not for “audiophile” music, but to broaden my musical horizons. Of course, everything they have to offer is MP3 (not sure of the bit rate, but it is rather low – 128?). Everything sounds pretty good via my iPhone (or iTunes on my laptop) through my Nuforce NE-700M ‘phones. I downloaded Ani DiFrancos’ “Up Up Up Up Up Up” and it sounded so wonderful that I went out and bought the disc. On my two channel system (Arcam DV137, T+A Powerplant, Sierra-1 [with the last NrT upgrade before the next shipment – hehe]) it sounds fantastic (speaker review to follow). I have since had to put my system in storage and have been relying on said IE headphones. Now to my quandary: On my Asus laptop (out of the box – no soundcard upgrade or anything like that) MP3s sound better than CDs via the built-in player (case-in-point – I would rather listen to Ani on iTunes MP3…). Is this a result of the built in DAC? Would I be better served to purchase an inexpensive USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier to bypass the internals (Nuforce has one – I am sure there are more out there) for my cans listening (I do plan on getting a dedicated one for a future computer based system so I can revel in the wonders of 96 or 192 rates in glorious Sierra-1 NrT sound) or is there a magical setting I am not aware of? BTW, I am running Windows 7 (would rather be a Mac user, but $$$...). Thank you in advance for any response/input/advice.
    Last edited by Funambulistic; 03-08-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    "I aim to misbehave..."