Thread: Ascend vs Ascend vs Dynaudio

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ascend vs Ascend vs Dynaudio [edit: its all about *Distortion*?]

Could anyone comment on Ascend 170SE/340SE vs Dynaudio? Maybe vs Audience 42, 52SE or Contour 1.4? Or any other model actually...

It would probably be for a ~10x20 room or maybe larger... I say 170/340 because I'm actually not quite sure which one I'd be better off with.. I know its vague, but so are my audio plans..

I have a sub (12 inch sealed DIY design) and an amp which are both unused, so I might build a 2nd system or maybe replace my current set of speakers (Totem Sttafs) who knows...

I was eying a pair of 340's, but now I'm wondering whether I'd just be as good with a pair of 170SE's. I'd use the sub anyhow, and 170s would almost cut the price in half. Music would be the priority.

I said vs Dynaudio, because these consistently seem to impress me. If they were a third of the price, I'd definitely get a pair I'm not exactly sure what they do so well, but they seem to have a signature sound that I absolutely love. I think its in the 'tightness', seamlessnesss and neutralness... I don't know I can't really describe it since I can't even put my fingers on what it is exactly... I think it somewhat comes close to the top end JMLabs...

We're definitely not in the same price range here, but being that the Ascends are difficult to audition, I'm trying to get a better idea of what I should expect. It can get dizzying sometimes trying to draw conclusions. Ex: Ref1 = amazing for 1500$!!! 340SE's just as good as if not better at 600$!! 170SE sounds (very close?) to 340SE!! Wait ok... so then... 170SE will sound very close to say Dynaudio 52SE? ([edit] Not that I think they would, because in some way they shouldn't... As they're drastically differently priced...)

Anyone has any insight on the subject?
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 08-05-2006 at 06:37 AM. Reason: edited title