Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY TV Stand

Thanks Jim. I sent them a note asking about pricing and minimum order sizes. It sounds like I won't have to worry about minimum order size. I also asked if they do black anodizing since that would be my preferred color.

It looks like Salamander sells a sliding shelf. Too bad it's too narrow for a 340 (the width of the center is one of the reasons for building my own).

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Thanks Jim. I sent them a note asking about pricing and minimum order sizes. It sounds like I won't have to worry about minimum order size. I also asked if they do black anodizing since that would be my preferred color.

It looks like Salamander sells a sliding shelf. Too bad it's too narrow for a 340 (the width of the center is one of the reasons for building my own).
    I never talked to tslots directly. I ordered through a local distributor. I'm pretty sure they'd do anodizing. Some of the other vendors will, but I would expect an upcharge. I know 8020.net has one.

Take a look at the installation instructions for the Salamander sliding shelf. It looks like they took a standard low dollar side mount drawer slide and drilled holes in the edges so they could use standard flat nuts and button head bolts to attach it to the posts. You could take a look at the drawer slides available at Home Depot. If there's enough clearance for the bolt head between the two slide pieces, you might be able to drill holes in the stand mounted piece and use flat nuts and bolts available from tslots to attach it. There's no reason you couldn't create your own solution.

Alternately, you could call Salamander and ask them if their drawer slides are available for purchase without purchasing the shelf to go with it. If you go this route, be aware that you'll need to make your stand the same depth as the Salamander stand or the mounting holes won't line up. You could modify the slides to accomodate greater depth by bolting on a piece of steel or aluminum stock the same length as your required depth.
    -Jim

Jim,

Have you ever thought about selling "kits" of your stands? I am sure you could make some profit and still cost less than Salamander.

Also, how do the Salamander flat panel mounts work? Are they simily steel bars that you attach a panel wall mount to? In other words, would I still need to purchase a wall mount for my plasma or would the plasma connect directly to the Salamander part?
    Peace!
    Sygyzy