Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY TV Stand

Default DIY TV Stand

I'm just finishing my DIY TV stand. I was inspired by the work people were showing off in the BYO TV Stand thread on AVS. I took the Salamander Designs Triple 20 idea and built one to my specs. I made it wider to accomodate the Ascend 340C. I made it deeper to accomodate my receiver, and shorter so the viewing height was correct.

I used maple plywood and solid maple trim instead of veneered MDF. I have a 1 year old, so I didn't want sharp corners and fluted edges like Salamander uses. I found quarter round t-slot tubing for the corner posts and rounded the corners and bullnosed the edges of the top and bottom pieces.

The center channel shelf sits on L brackets from tslots.com. I routed a recess for each bracket so the shelf fits snugly over the brackets. The front is flush with the front edge of the stand so the 340C can be as far forward as possible.

The other shelves are maple ply with iron on edge banding. I used Salamander shelf pegs for these shelves. I still need to make doors for the outside compartments. I finished it using natural Danish Oil.

It was a fun project and I saved a bundle doing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jim

I really like it!!

I want one!
    -curtis

I am SO jealous. Nice job, Jim. For my home theatre, we (i.e. my wife) have a beautiful home entertainment center that sucks as anything but funiture. No practicality and difficult to get to the electronics. It weighs 300 lbs so moving it is not much of an option. I see some nice similarities between your set-up and Curtis's.

David

David,

I have a friend that has furniture sliders under her entertainment center. They seem to work very well.

I see some nice similarities between your set-up and Curtis's.
    In hindsight, I would like to have doors on mine. Cleaner look and helps keep the dust out.
    -curtis

Jim that looks incredible!

Beautiful work!

that tv stand looks amazing. It looks professional. I wonder if you did any step by step pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    that tv stand looks amazing. It looks professional. I wonder if you did any step by step pictures.
    No step by step procedures, but I remember it all. I just put my own twist on the Salamander concept. I had a few sketches and rough dimensions before I started, but I didn't document it well. That's not of my strong points as my boss will attest.

I could write up basic instructions pretty quickly. If anyone's interested I will post some instructions and a bill of materials. You can make the stand easier or harder to build depending on what kind of tools you have available and what options you'd want to include in the stand.
    Last edited by jimsiff; 05-06-2005 at 03:39 PM.
    -Jim

Thumbs up

If anyone's interested I will post some instructions and a bill of materials.
    That would be appreciated. Nice looking stand!

That looks great. As I said in the other thread, this is exactly the type of thing I am planning on building this spring. What size t-slots did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    That looks great. As I said in the other thread, this is exactly the type of thing I am planning on building this spring. What size t-slots did you use?
    I used the 1515 Light series from tslots.com which is 1.5"x1.5", and is slightly thinner aluminum than the standard 1515 series. For the corners, I used 1515 Quarter Round which is also a Light series extrusion. The center hole in the extrusion is exactly the right size for a 5/16x18 tap. That is also the thread size on the Salamander hardware.

The 1515-L is $0.42 per inch, and the 1515-QR is $0.36 per inch. They charge extra for cut to length and tapping services. I tapped them myself because I wasn't sure what thread pattern Salamander used ahead of time. Here's the part #'s and what I paid for my tubing:

650006 15-15L 16" x4 $ 6.72 $26.88
    660003 cut to length x4 $ 1.85 $ 7.20
    650041 15-15QR 16" x4 $ 5.76 $23.04
    660003 cut to length x4 $ 1.85 $ 7.20
    TOTAL $64.32
    -Jim