Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side mount for rear channel?

Quote Originally Posted by lmm
    I talked to Dave@Ascend, and he said that Omnimounts allow the speaker to turn, but not 90 degrees. If I really need a side mount, it's possible to use the mounting kit that comes with the omnimounts to drill holes in the sides of the HTM-200s and mount them from the sides.

"It won't harm the speakers".

Well, I think I'll try the rear mounts first, and see how it goes before drilling my new surrounds (when they arrive).
    Last week I called Ascend, and spoke with Dave, and was told the same thing. He assured me that it would not hurt the 200's accoustically to mount them with wood screws from the side. I am in much the same situation, and on one hand am hesitant about doing this. But, if you cannot trust the man who designed and manufactured the speakers, who can you trust?

I have not yet ordered my 200's, will in the next 2 weeks, we'll see. Let us know how it goes for you.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Dave told me the same thing about drilling into the side of the speaker. While I'm sure it would be fine, I don't want do harm the speakers visually. I plan on keeping my Ascends for a long time. They'll definitely outlive the room they're in. I may not want to side mount them next time.

I'm considering making my own wall mount stands out of MDF. When I finalize my idea I will let you know what I came up with.
    -Jim

Default other ways of wall-mounting speakers

Just browsing partsexpress, I wonder if there might be some other options than the omnimounts, for example a mount with a plate under the speaker, rather than a side mount.

It's hard to tell just from the catalog entry whether this would work with the 200s.

Thanks for the idea, Imm, but in my application the 200's will have to be mounted above the seating position and tilted downward just a bit. I will then have to angle them down a little and would either risk the speaker sliding off, or I would have to screw holes into the bottom of the speaker.

Great idea, though, the search and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Default "earthquake putty" for speaker stands

based on advice I read elsewhere, I've been using "Quake-Hold" earthquake putty to attach speakers to stands and shelves. I think it would keep speakers on lower mounts even when tilted at a 30 degree angle. I bought it at Orchard Supply, but you can find it online.

Outstanding! I have read about others using Blu-Tak (sp?), but wasn't sure if that would hold a tilted speaker. This Quake-Hold stuff looks like it may do the trick. Thanks a lot. I'm not quite positive how I'm going to mount the 200's yet, but this at least opens up some other options.

Default Used omnimounts from back, after all

I really didn't want to drill my new speakers to mount them. So I went ahead and used the omnimounts, which allow them to tilt "enough", I think, to point at the listening position.

Setup:

Closeup:

Attached Images Attached Images