Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this an upgrade

Default Is this an upgrade

I know this seems like a silly question on this forum but I'm looking to upgrade my current setup and I'd like to know how people here think Ascends will compare with what I currently have.

Current setup (driven by Yamaha RX-V 757 receiver):

Speakers (all 10 years old)
    Fronts: JBL TLX-181 floorstanding speakers. (About $600 pair if you can find them)
    Center: JBL Center speaker
    Surround: JBL Control Series.
    Sub: Some massive black box, can't remember who made it, pretty good though.

I'm thinking about trying out Ascend 340's accross the front (LCR). I'll probably eventually replace the Surrounds as well, not sure about the sub.

My hesitation is about going from floorstanding to bookshelf speakers. It seems like a step down psychologically. But I'm not very impressed with my JBL fronts. The mids are muddled and there is noticable buzzing and distortion in the mids when volume is above moderate.

So the point of all this blather is:
    1) Can these bookshelf speakers really put out better sound than my admitedly mediocre JBL floorstanding models?
    2) Since these speakers are in the same price range, would this be a lateral move or an upgrade?
    3) Does my receiver seem like a good match for these speakers? Its about 100 watts per channel. It has a pre-out for the sub which is self powered of course.
    4) How stable are the stands? I need to set the fronts up on stands, they look very stable, would they be safe with a 3 and 5 year old boy running around the house? I'm a little concerned they would be top heavy and fall over easily.
    5) How would these compare with comperably priced Axioms?

FYI, I use my system about 80/20 HT vs Music. I watch mostly drama and sports and my current speakers have issues with muddled dialogue. I listen to rock and light classical for music. I'm not a big boomy bass guy, more interested in clarity and soundstage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thumbs up

I've never listened to the JBLs you have, so I cannot comment on their sound verses the 340's. I would recommend that if you get the 340s, then get their matching stands as well. They'll still look like towers, but probably taller than your current speakers.

I replaced my 5 year old Polk speakers with the 340s and 170s in the rear. I have no regrets.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

What you find lacking on your present speakers are strong points for Ascend. I'll second the 340s for your use. That $600 for the JBL's included a distributor and a retailer getting a cut. You can fill the 340 stands with 50lbs of sand each and they won't be going anywhere. As for the Axioms the M22 go fishy on the highest of highs(violins) and the M60 lacks the clarity and separation of the 340s but does have more low end.
    Last edited by Quinn; 05-03-2005 at 03:12 PM.

I have three kids, 1, 5, and 7. My 340 stands are filled with about 60 lb of sand. They aren't going anywhere unless I move them. With no sand, I found the 340 stands to "float" on the carpet and were a bit tippy. Since adding the sand, the spikes dig in and provide a sturdy base.
    -Jim

LampCord,

I've got the 340's, 170's and also a competing internet companies' $1500 bookshelf speaker here in my home. All three of these speakers have qualities I like but I believe that the one I'd take home at the end of the day (figuratively speaking "cause they are already at my home) would be the 340's. Go-figure...the 340's aprox 1/3 the price. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let the price fool you...DaveF puts out a hell of a product and definitely are worthy of a listen next to your JBL's.

Randy

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I'm leaning pretty hard towards ordering these and seeing how they sound.

I can set them up right next to my JBL's and put them on B speaker for a direct comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by LampCord
    I can set them up right next to my JBL's and put them on B speaker for a direct comparison.
    Careful doing that. Not all receivers handle A and B the same.

Also remember that placing the speakers right next to each other can affect the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchBrake

Also remember that placing the speakers right next to each other can affect the sound.
    I second Clutch's concerns. One speaker will almost always have an unfair advantage in these situations. The ideal location for one speaker could be quite different than the other or even quite different from the norm. Thanks to Lee B., I found a better location for my 340's. It never would have occured to me to separate my 340's that much but it worked.
    Now Lee's posting more "stuff." This man causes me almost as much work as my wife. At least I enjoy doing Lee's stuff.
    I also find the "B" speaker outlets on all my receivers (4) to be inferior to the "A" speaker outlets. My receiver's are mid-fi. Kenwood, Onkyo, JVC and Yamaha.

David

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchBrake

OK, that makes it a lot tougher.

Anyone have good suggestions for comparing speakers other than the obvious, 'put in music you like and see what sounds better'?

I'm thinking of suggestions for a good demo CD or setup CD that would help identify 'problem areas' more quickly and effectively than just random listening.

I have found it easiest to compare single speakers side by side with a mono source, using an A/B switch. Makes it very easy to hear differences.

For two channel, purchasing an inexpensive A/B switch from Radio Shack would do the trick.

Also remember to level match.
    -curtis