Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any Firefly Fans around here?

Watched the first half hour of the movie Friday night. It was too violent for my wife so had to change to something else. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it today while the wife's out of the house. Definitely need to have some background from the TV series to fully appreciate the film.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Definitely need to have some background from the TV series to fully appreciate the film.
    The word 'fully' is important. I hadn't seen any of the series and really liked the movie. I don't think it's necessary to have seen any of the series to enjoy or appreciate the movie.

Fully, indeed. With a little background on the characters and their prior interactions, one can get a bit more out of the movie... though not much.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

I finished watching the TV series a few weeks ago, and I must say that Fox did terrible things to what should have been a great show. Joss Whedon did such a great job with character development that with each episode I wanted to know more about these characters and find out what happened to them next.

I need to grab the DVD and check out Serenity. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

If you liked the series, you'll love the movie. Really.

The best show of the series was the one where there is an explosion on board that cripples the ship. Malcom then has flashbacks of how he bought the ship and got the crew. Great show... great background on all the characters.

Essential viewing.

Cheers

shane

My setup:

OK....because of all you, I watched "Serenity" tonight....and very much enjoyed it! Thanks!
    -curtis

And because of all of you.... I too have started watching the series (Firefly). I am thoroughly addicted and already on disc 4 (which came tonight from Netflix)

Can't wait for Serenity (next week)..

Why won't HBO pick up the series and continue it? What a waste if it just disolves into oblivion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Has the theme song gotten stuck in your head yet?
    Jon O.

I'm also a fan after watching the show on DVD (didn't watch it when it was broadcast) and enjoyed the movie. It would be great to see the show come back or at least do another movie or two.

When I was in San Diego for business last year, I stopped by the Comic Con convention and, by random chance, Joss Whedon came by the Serenity booth while I was standing there, so I got him to sign a copy of the Serenity comic for me. I didn't get a chance to talk to him though, since he seemed to be rushing from one place to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Has the theme song gotten stuck in your head yet?
    Yes, I love the theme song. If you watch the bonus materials on the DVD set they talk about how Joss Whedon came up with the song and even plunked it out on the guitar as a demo. Although Joss needs more vocal training, the theme song is catchy and goes great with the series.

I just watched the Serenity movie the other day. I certainly recommend that you watch the series first. The plot make more sense when you already know the characters' past. I especially love the down and dirty style of cinematography. They talk about it the DVD bonus material. It gives the show a more believable feel.

<spoiler alert! don't read if you haven't seen the movie!>
    I was really disappointed that they killed off Book and Wash. I had heard that Whedon was not planning on making a second movie, but without Wash and Book I don't see how he could successfully continue the series. Other than killing off 2 main characters I was very pleased with the movie.
    <end spoiler alert>

Reply to spoiler....

I agree. Not a necessary move. Integral characters.

shane

My setup: