Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any Firefly Fans around here?

Default The hero of canton the man they call....

Great show isn't it? I still love it.

LESS THAN ONE WEEK UNTIL THE MOVIE IS OUT!

I am estatic! Firefly party at my place!

Also, the DVD set is only $29.99 on Amazon at the moment - decent price.
    Jon O.

4 days & 3 eps left for me... My wife & I are rewatching the entire series to coincide with the release of Serenity. Of course, it's been difficult having gotten both BSG S1 & Lost last week (both of which are excellent shows!)

If you liked the Ballad of Jayne, you'll like this one as well:

The Ballad of Joss

Ok, so what is Firefly all about? I saw a guy had the DVD ahead of me in line at Media Play over the weekend... I must have missed this series. And movie too??
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Default Why?

Hmmm, it is hard to pin down exactly what it is, because I feel it is a great convergence of scripting, acting, and directing that makes a really special show. The humor and writing overall is top-notch, with a storyline that really draws you in. Keep in mind there are very few TV shows I would say this about (I can count them on one hand probably).

Anyhow, more specifically it is a science fiction show that aired on Fox in 2002 (I think) but was cancelled after only 11 episodes. But, when it came out on DVD it outsold Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and is currently #11 on amazon's DVD sales rank - I've seen it much higher, but it's holding strong against some AMAZINGLY popular competition (Lost, 24, Star Wars, Desp Housewives, etc). Anyhow, there are 14 episodes on the DVD set and they are all really fun to watch. If you have $30 to spare and like anything that delves into science fiction, but isn't hard core sci-fi, and instead had tons of great characters and character development with a moving plot - I would highly recommend you pick it up.

I know I'm pushing this pretty hard, but I have few TV shows that I really enjoy watching this much.

The movie got the go-ahead because the DVDs sold so well, AFAIK. The movie, titled "Serenity" will be out this weekend. If you can hold out and find time to get and watch the DVDs first I woudl do so - you will be very happy you did. If not, I'm sure the movie will still be a blast and you'll probably end up getting the DVDs to learn the backstory (whatever isn't covered in the movie).

Long story short - I'll be there Fri to watch the premier

Here's the DVD set...
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Let us know if you pick it up and what you think....
    Jon O.

I remember seeing the previews for Serenity because it has "Steve The Pirate" from Dodgeball in it!

It already has great reviews on imdb.com - an 8.4 which is quite high.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

I think my wife works this weekend at some point, maybe I'll catch it this weekend too!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

The guy who plays Steve the Pirate (Alan Tudyk) plays Wash on Firefly - the pilot of the 'Serenity'. The ship is named 'Serenity' but is a Firefly-class ship (that's where the name of the TV show comes from).

The show is about the crew & passengers of 'Serenity'. The captain (Mal) & 2nd in command (Zoe) fought for the losing side in a rebellion in the past. The winning side (the Alliance) ends up taking over like a big government type entity. In order to escape from the influence of the Alliance, Mal & Zoe pick up Serenity, take on a crew & hightail it to the far reaches of Alliance-controlled space (sort of like the frontier).

Out there, with little money & resources, they resort to taking on questionable type jobs (i.e. smuggling) to get by. At the start of the TV show, they end up picking up several passengers (with mysterious & unique backgrounds) that you slowly learn about throughout the show.

The show is about the interaction between the crew & passengers, and the little escapades/jobs. Basically think of it as kind of a western set in outer space.

The main crew is Mal (Captain), Zoe (2nd in command), Wash (pilot), Jayne (muscle/bodyguard/mercenary), Kaylee (mechanic), Inara (a Companion).

The passengers: Simon (doctor, brother to River), River (girl w/psychological problems) & Shepherd Book (preacher).

Like others have said, it's the characterization & interaction between the characters, along with the writing that makes the show as good as it is.

The show was canned by Fox only after 11 episodes because of pretty horrible ratings, but the blame was on Fox. They showed the episodes out of order (in fact, they didn't even show the pilot until the show was cancelled & then showed it as the very last episode), the show was slotted on Friday nights (usually not a good slot to begin with), and the show was often pre-empted by baseball games, along with the fact that they didn't advertise/publicize the show very heavily. It wasn't until the series made it onto DVD that it generated a huge cult-like following. The DVD also contains 3 eps that never aired originally.
    Last edited by Cliff_L; 09-27-2005 at 12:40 PM.

What Cliff said
    Jon O.

So how did you like it? A friend asked me to go to another movie tonight so I didn't get to watch Serenity while my wife was at work. Maybe tomorrow or early next week.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

It was GREAT. I highly encourage you to go see it. I saw it with both some rabid fans of the show, some people who thought the show was "neat", and some others who had absolutely no idea what was going on. Everyone thought the movie was excellent.

I had VERY high expectations so I actually was worried it wasn't going to be as good as I hoped. But, it really turned out to be as good as I could have hoped. I don't ever gush about TV shows or movies like this, but this one really is very good.

Go see it, I think you'll be happy you did.

It's doing pretty well for reviews, better than I expected:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/
    Jon O.

i took my wife to the movie she liked it. but she only saw a couple of episodes. she really didnt get the tv show but liked the movie. i liked the movie alot probably up there for great movie of 2005 so far