Hi Curtis,

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
BTW, last year, I got a chance to hear a pair of CBM-170's that had the crossover's modified by a well know DIY crossover guy. Although I did not see measurements, the claim was that the speaker had a flat FR just like the original.

That said, the speaker did not sound like the original....it was very easy to hear the difference. It didn't sound bad, but it was not the CBM-170 that most of us know.
Hey... I remember those speakers .... BTW, while the modded crossovers were close to being as flat on-axis as a stock CBM-170, the off-axis response using those modded crossovers was very poor actually. This is probably what you heard.

It is important to keep in mind that when you are listening to a loudspeaker, you are hearing a combination of the direct-sound of the speaker (on-axis response) AND reflected-sound (off-axis response). Off-Axis response is just as important in a quality loudspeaker as On-Axis response, even when you are sitting directly On-Axis.

Designing the "right" off-axis response is far more difficult than designing a flat on-axis response...