Thread: 340 Main vs. Center

Default 340 Main vs. Center

Anyone know what the difference is?

Is one just on its side or is there some other design change?

Lightbulb

The tweeter is turned 90 degrees, and the crossover provides compensation for being mounted on a TV.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Question Hmm, follow-up question.

If my center channel speaker is not going on a TV, but on a stand under the screen (front projection), would I be better off going with a 340main on it's side, then a 340C? Does it really make a difference? Can I get a 340M with the tweeter turned and the standard (not center) crossover?

leonp

Quote Originally Posted by leonp
    If my center channel speaker is not going on a TV, but on a stand under the screen (front projection), would I be better off going with a 340main on it's side, then a 340C? Does it really make a difference? Can I get a 340M with the tweeter turned and the standard (not center) crossover?
    leonp
    If the is going to be horizontal like most are, you need the 340C. If the speaker is going to be vertical like Nicholas M. has, you'll need the 340M. What it sits on dosen't mostly matter.

David

I asked David F this question and was told to use a third 340MSE horizontally stand mounted in front of projection screen. They don't use the tweeter wave guide now.
    Therefore, the previous advice is only for the 340 classic model which is now discontiued.
    Last edited by dbart; 02-07-2006 at 04:29 PM.

I asked David F this question and was told to use a third 340MSE horizontally stand mounted in front of projection screen. They don't use the tweeter wave guide now.
    So, the 340MSE can either be mounted vertically or horizontally as a center?

I think either the 340L/R SE or Classic mains can be used as a center in a front projection setup - this is because the center in such a setup won't need the EXBAC compensation as there is no baffle to worry about (no entertainment center, or big tv...just a stand like a normal speaker).

Thought: I wonder if there is a difference in price
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 07-28-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by sharerware
    So, the 340MSE can either be mounted vertically or horizontally as a center?
    it all depends on the installation --- send me an email with your specifics and I would be happy to advise...

In almost all cases, the CMT-340 SE center is recommended. If you have a projection screen and the center is going to placed ear-level on a stand ( about 24" off the ground) with about 2 feet of clearance (in all directions) from any large reflective surface - a 340 SE main (no EXBAC) would be recommended. This *can* be used either horizontally or vertically but there are factors to this as well that we should discuss (such as your distance from the speaker, the width of the room, and the vertical height of the speaker).

There is no difference in price between a 340 SE center and a single 340 SE main. $298 + shipping.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

DaveF - Thank you for the detailed response. Unfortuanetely, I don't have a room setup yet, though it should be finished soon. I've decided on getting Ascends, but I'm waiting until the room is finished. In the meantime, I'm trying to iron out some of the details. I have a perf screen that the LCR speakers will reside behind.

When you say 2 feet in all directions, are you including the screen as a reflective surface? With a perf screen which center would be better and would it be noticeable? It sounds like the 340MSE has some strict guidelines to be used as a center compared to the 340CSE.

Hi sharerware,

You are most welcome... I am happy to help

Quote Originally Posted by sharerware
    When you say 2 feet in all directions, are you including the screen as a reflective surface? With a perf screen which center would be better and would it be noticeable? It sounds like the 340MSE has some strict guidelines to be used as a center compared to the 340CSE.
    No -- the screen in your case should not be considered a reflective surface.

>With a perf screen which center would be better and would it be noticeable?

Again, there are still more variables I need to know to make the best recommendation for you.. Please see my previous post
    but there are factors to this as well that we should discuss (such as your distance from the speaker, the width of the room, and the vertical height of the speaker).
    Please send me an email with that info and I would be happy to make the recommendation.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com