Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new SVS 25-31PC-Plus

I will check out those scenes in the Incredibles. I should be getting my 340's today so I will be playing a bunch of stuff tonight to try them out.

I will probably buy The Phantom of the Opera today on my lunch break. I wanted it anyway and it has good music which also has pipe organs in it. This way I can have a good demo of the 340's and the sub at the same time.

I had the sub back and forth in all three modes last night until I finally got brain overload and stopped for a day. I am having trouble making a decision which mode I like best.

What I have found is surprising. My room must have some major natural bass reinforcement. If I put the sub in 16 Hz mode and set the gain on the sub slightly less than half way up the sub level in the receiver ends up at -10 on the receiver. I need to find the gain setting where I can have a setting on the receiver of between -2 and -5. This seems to tell me that I actually have quite a bit of overhead with this sub even when I have it in 16 Hz mode. My next plan of action is to set it up as described and play some of those scenes that were bottoming out Nick's 16-46 PC+ at reference level (louder than I would normally play) on the receiver volume and see what happens.

I saw a report on the news this morning that there were unexplained loud booming sounds coming from the north side of town for the last week. I hope it isn't me. I don't want the police here.

When you don't have the subs output equalized you typically have alot of peaks that give your SPL meter a false reading. You will actually be producing accurate sound around those peaks, but the rest of the response will be too low. Next to my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s, my BFD pEQ is without a doubt the best value in my yet to be completed home theater. I highly recommend them to everyone.

Well Nick...

Here's a dumb Newbie question...
    What's the BFD and how is it used?
    I googled it and got "Behringer Feedback Destroyer". Is this it?

cheers

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Quote Originally Posted by shane55
    Well Nick...
    I googled it and got "Behringer Feedback Destroyer". Is this it?
    Hi Shane,
    Yes, that's it. Here's a good primer on the BFD.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

David

David...
    Thanks so much. Lotsa reading and familiarizing ahead

Cheers.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

I tried the scenes in The Incredibles and the sub did not bottom out. I wonder if the fact that my sub rolls off earlier than the 16-46 PC+ helps it keep from bottoming out with the infrasonics.

To my surprise I have found that the mode that sounds the best to me is the native 25 Hz tune. Music sounds much better in this mode. Of course, I will probably change my mind before the day is up. I haven't gone back and watched any movies in 25 Hz mode so I will have to do that to decide if I want to compromise and go to the 20 Hz mode. I may just end up keeping it in 25 Hz mode most of the time and changing it to 16 Hz mode for "special occasions."

I can change the tune and the speaker levels pretty quickly now that I have done it a few times. It wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to switch it occasionally.

The biggest thing that I have found is that I love having a sub that you can adjust to fit your personal preferences. Now that I have had this feature I don't think I will ever buy another sub that does not have this ability.

I also unplugged my main speakers while I had a jazz cd playing and the bass coming from the sub was very nice and smooth without any noticable distortion. That was not the case with my previous sub.

I think I will be asking for a BFD for my birthday this year.