Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DualDisc

Default DualDisc

Have any of you tried these new discs?

I have two of them. Right on the packaging it says the CD side may not work with some CD players. One of mine works fine, the other does not. Luckily, the one that does not has DVD-A on the DVD side.

Apparently Denon, and some other companies have issued advisories:

Dual Disc Consumer Advisories To Date
    To date, we've now seen 13 Dual Disc advisories from the following firms:
    Denon
    JVC
    Lexicon
    Marantz
    Mark Levinson
    Meridian
    Onkyo Electronics
    Philips
    Pioneer Electronics
    Sony Computer Entertainment America
    Sony Electronics America
    Sony Europe
    Toshiba
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=18008347
    -curtis

Default My experience

My wife just bought the Rob Thomas Dualdisc. The "CD" version plays fine, but the DVD-A side doesn't play on my Pioneer 563a. It's odd, the player recognizes it as a DVD-Audio and acts like it's playing, but no audio. Oh well, just another excuse to give the wife for upgrading to the Denon 2910!!

That's funny, because that is the disc my 2900 has problems with on the CD side, the DVD-A sounds great.
    -curtis

I just exchanged the disc, and both sides seem to be playing fine now.
    -curtis

Nevermind....posted too soon. Same problem, just further into the disc.
    -curtis

Picked up my first dualdisc yesterday, the new Springsteen disc Devils and Dust. Had a hard time trying to make a copy for the car with EAC. DVD-Rom was reading it VERY slow. DVD burner was able to rip it much faster.

Default Rob Thomas Dual CD

Got mine for $9.72 last night after arguing for a bit with the Walmart checkout girl over pricing.

The CD side works well in my car and work computer. I don't have a ripper installed, except for WinMedia9, but I can only rip in the WMA format. It does it flawlessly. This is on a Windows 2000 machine.

At home:

1. On my computer (running WinXP), the DVD-ROM does not recognize the CD side.
    2. The DVD-burner recognized it, but took quite a while in doing so.
    3. When ripping via WinMedia9, I'm able to select lossless format, as opposed to compressed wma. "Lonely No More" showed 10+ minutes of playing time, and a few other tracks reported issues with copying. So all the CDA format only had a few that were good copies.
    4. When ripping via EAC, it ran into problems with several tracks. For example, for some reason, the "Lonely No More" track showed 10+ minutes of playing time. So only about 2/3 (guessing, since I've not played them all) of the tracks copied as WAV format work correctly.

5. Using it on my 563a, both sides work flawlessly. Graham, does your 563a have the latest firmware update to resolve a lot of issues with DVD-Audio discs? If not, then you might want to get in touch with Pioneer.

This new format is pretty frustrating to say the least

Default DualDisc specs

The RIAA has published DualDisc specifications;

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=14932178
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

They are crap! I refuse to buy them. I've seen stories of needing to go to the dealer to get them out of the car's CD player because of the extra thickness not mixing with slot load players. While Curtis lists those with advisories, Harman International has made it policy that DualDisc use voids the warranty. That means the following brands which fall under the Harman umbella have no warranty w/ DualDiscs Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, Revel, Audioaccess, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Madrigal Imaging, and Proceed.

Quinn,

Dual Discs are thicker and/or have more mass to them? I didn't know that. I wonder what would happen if you tossed one in a 52x PC CD-ROM drive.
    -Jim