Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Projector Process...

Nick,

Did you at any point consider a DIY screen? I don't know how well respected the reviews are at ProjectorCentral, but this review mentions that they felt the Goo Systems Digital Grey Lite paint "clearly" outperformed the Carada High Contrast Gray screen. I'm a bit skeptical of such a claim, but here it is:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/goo_...or_screens.htm

chuck

Projector Central seems a bit....incomplete in their evaluations of different products I think. I used to go there, but their opinions don't impress me anymore. Kind of like the non-dvd player portion of Hometheaterhifi
    Jon O.

chas - I thought about the DIY screens, but if you figure your own time into it $600-$700 isn't bad considering that you would have to buy aluminum framing, velvet to line it, material, attachment mechanisms, brackets, etc. I guess I'm willing to pay a little extra for the service of manufacture.

Haven't abandoned the thread, just been working. Put 83hrs in this week, and just flew a "cross-country" flight this afternoon around a few local airports in the north-east.

Ordering the screen and HDMI cable this Thursday. I should have pics and stuff up after they arrive.

See-ya boys!

I thought about the DIY screens, but if you figure your own time into it $600-$700 isn't bad considering
    I agree...especially for a person with my DIY skills. And when you look at the price of some of the other screens out there, $700 is pretty reasonable. Of course 43 hours of OT takes a bit of the sting out of the cost as well!

Ordered a Carada 1:1.78 84" Criterion screen today with the High Contrast Gray material. I was on the fence for such a long time deciding between the 1.0 and 0.8 Gain screens. Had some people over for some quick opinions, and everyone preferred the gray screen. Seeing as I liked both for their different strengths, I went with the popular vote.

Also ordered a 40' HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cables.

Pic's definetly to come when I receive everything.

Gotta' go!

Have a good one boys!

Sounds like it will all be coming together soon! Are there any issues running long lengths of HDMI?

Received the 40' HDMI cable. Nothing special exterior wise, but the cable is thick/heavy which is always a good sign in long cable runs. After trying it out just on my wall, all I can say is that if you have the option to run HDMI, do it! The decrease in noise is incredible. I see no "crushing" around objects in dark scenes now, and that blur and/or pixelation around objects in highcontrast scenes has vanished. Excellent shipping by Blue Jeans btw. Ordered Thursday around noon, and had the cable Saturday morning.

I ordered the screen from Carada around the same time last Thursday. They eMailed a receipt and my bank has locked out the funds, but I haven't received a shipping notice yet. Hopefully it will be on Mon/Tue or I will have to give'em a call. Can't wait to get it all setup. I'll be sure to post pictures and opinions when it's all up and going.

Screen should arrive sometime today.
    Pics when it's setup.

More to come once it's all calibrated.
    Excellent quality/price ratio!
    Another winning internet direct manufacturer!

Sweet!!
    -curtis