Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Projector Process...

Well guys, I officially have a front projector! :-y

The Sanyo PLV-Z3 arrived today. Unfortunately I just received an eMail that the used Denon DVD-2910 replacing my failed DVD-2900 is shipping today. I have to check out the tracking number they sent me after 8pm EST.

But oh man is this thing cool! Just made a rough placement on a bookshelf behind the couch. The projector will actually be mounted just 2ft above where it sits on top of the bookshelf now. The lens shift works kick-@$$! Not sure how anyone could live without this feature.

With my new black curtains I bought last week, my room is more than dark enough even during the middle of the day. The lamp is set on low too! I'm going to have to shorten my center speaker stand by 4-6". Right now all five monitors are at ear level, but this is a sacrifice I'll have to make, the screen just seems too high...

Did some experimenting with screen samples using various menu options and colors. Was quite suprised...

Things I found I disliked...
    1. Textured materials. They soften the image some, and don't preserve that razorsharp digital quality.

2. Any material gray in color. Blacks are definetly better as well as the resulting contrast, but colors look like $#!t! That vibrant chlorophyl green color of spring grass becomes november pine needle green and Tomato red becomes a maroonish offshoot. Blechhhhh! Not to mention that the brightest white you can see is the color of the gray screen...

3. Any coating/finish that sparkles. It bugs the hell out of me, and plays tricks on my eyes. Silver screen, glass beaded, even the "High Power" I was boasting about.

4. Screens with a viewing angle less than 45*. Even though my couch is within a 30* angle of each screen edge, the only seat that looks 100% is the middle one.

This eliminated every single Da-Lite screen sample I have.

Oddly enough, I thought the best image was produced on the Carada Brilliant White (1.4 Gain) material! There isn't any weave to it that softens the image, white's are white, colors are pure, there is no sparkling/shimmering, and it looks the same almost 180*, no matter where you sit/stand. It's really not that much different than the Carada Matte White material. The matte seems to be slightly off pure white while the Brilliant White is like Elmer's glue white. The Criterion frames look quite impressive too. I'm just worried about having enough tension with the Carada material. It's slightly stretchy, and I'm worried it will lose it's elasticity/resiliency and sag after a couple years. I suppose if it does they will replace the material.

Found out with my placement option, 80" is the smallest Carada screen size I can go with (min zoom on the PJ produces a 74" diagonal image). So here is what I plan to get...

Carada Brilliant White 80" Diagonal Criterion 1.78 to 1 Screen ~US$645

I'll most liekly be ordering it on the 24th. Have to pay the bills and flight tuition first...
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 08-04-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Congrats on the new projector Nick! Gotta be tough to wait on the new used Denon and screen......

Interesting feedback on the screens. Good to hear that net-direct is still a winner.

guess you won't miss that little tv for movies!

thanks for the update and pics. looking forward to the continuing saga!
    Last edited by chas; 08-04-2005 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo

Awesome Nick - looks like your setup is coming together nicely. I was suprised to see you screen choice after your recent comments - very ironic. It's good to see you don't give yourself bias How did you evaluate the screen materials? Did you just tape them to the wall or something? I have to attach all of mine to something so I can do a big comparison.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    I'm going to have to shorten my center speaker stand by 4-6". Right now all five monitors are at ear level, but this is a sacrifice I'll have to make, the screen just seems too high...
    I wondered if you were going to be able to pull off all 5 speakers stands at the 30" mark. I remember seeing the mock screen you had on your wall and thinking to myself "that looks awfully high."

Lucky for you the Ascend's have an outstanding off axis response. Although, if your only going down a few inches you might not even be able to tell the difference.

I do happen to know someone who uses 5 identical floor standing speakers in his setup. He spent some serious cash on an acoustically transparent screen that works very well.

Shortened my center speaker stand 6". It has an insert tacked in on each end with a threaded fitting, so all I did was grind the tacks off, pop the insert out, chop 6" off the tube, weld the insert back in, and touched it up with some flat black paint. I also cut the tubing at a 5* angle, which tilts the speakers up just right for the listening position. The tweeter is now 6" below the tweets on the other four monitors, but it makes a huge difference with screen positioning. I can already tell I will be getting a degradation in SACD/DVD-A quality from doing this though. Oh well...

I'm going to design a mount for the PJ today, and hopefully have it fabricated with the PJ up by the end of the weekend. The screen will come later this month.

Still waiting on the Denon...

EDIT The samples I simply tacked to the wall. Then it was a simple game of "One of these things, doesn't belong here...".

Even though I don't have the room to run a perforated screen, they sure do look horrible with images! (atleast the Da-Lite ones).
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 08-05-2005 at 05:41 AM.

Wow...quite a little operation on your speaker stand. The 5* angle is a nice touch.

Hope you'll find the time to document your projector mount project (with a few photos).

Any tracking info on the Denon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    Even though I don't have the room to run a perforated screen, they sure do look horrible with images! (atleast the Da-Lite ones).
    Not always 100% true. You have to pay lots of money to get a good one.

That's why I said the screen cost some serious money. I think the acoustically transparent screen that a friend of mine has cost thousand of dollars. I'm not a screen expert but the picture is very impressive.

I'm more of an audio guy myself. In fact, I really liked your 13" TV. I do most of my TV watching on my computer's 20" LCD monitor or my old cheap ass 25" television.

The used 2910 being sent as a replacement for my 2900 won't get here until next Thursday the 11th...

Another week of no music/no DVDs...

Pick up a $60.00 player from Best Buy or Circuit City to tide you over.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCasaba
    Pick up a $60.00 player from Best Buy or Circuit City to tide you over.
    Another good option is run a optical cable from the computer to the prepro and listen to Internet Radio. This is one area of marked improvement on my new Panny 55 receiver (review coming maybe next week) over the Kenwood it replaced. I'm one happy camper with this new receiver.

David