Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Projector Process...

These projectors have 720p resolution. Maximum recommended screen diagonal for 720p is your viewing distance divided by 1.3. I sit 8' from the wall, so the maximum recommended screen diagonal is 72". This affects different people in different ways though, so once I get the PJ I'll experient and see just how big I can go without serious image quality degradation.

In one of the above posts I have a mock 72" screen I made out of posterboard. I definetly have the room to go to 92" if I'm satisfied with image quality.

Ambient light is definetly a concern. My room has four huge windows. I'm going to combat this in two ways...

1. Double layered black velvet curtains.
    2. A screen with a higher gain reflects light better giving you a brighter image. I plan to order screen samples a week or so before ordering the PJ. Different screen materials play a huge part in your image characteristics.

your going to have a plush setup wish i could see. hope you have pics once everything is setup. hopeful when i decide to go pj the dlp tch will improve.

Default 720p pj review from CT_Wiebe on AVS

Nice choice Nick. If I had gone for LCD it would have been a Z3 or AE700 for me. I bet you'll love it.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a complimentary review of the Z3 from a guy on AVS who has over the past few months shown to be rather objective and discerning in my eyes. The Z3 looks like a good budget choice.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=sanyo+z3

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=38874
    Jon O.

Still saving my clams for a PJ. I recently took a job offer that has a 5min commute and about 25% more pay (along with a 48hr week), so I should be ready to order sometime in the next 2-3wks or so (hopefully).

I did order some screen samples though from Carada. I also plan to get some from Stewart as well.

Anyhoo, figured I'd keep the thread alive. I still plan on going for a Z3. They're $1,725/shipped now!

Default screens

Can I get a 25% raise with a 5min commute?

Congrats on the raise bro. And thanks for keeping the thread alive. Sometimes I think I kill threads - I post and they die. It invariably happens

Anyhow, in regards to screens - if you would consider a budget option I would give the Optoma Graywolf an audition :

http://www.optomausa.com/optomausa/d..._DS92106PM.pdf

I picked it up at Best Buy of all places (106" for $299). They only have the 106 and a 92" version. I have some issues with it, but my overall impression is positive. I'm giving it a chance for 30 days (easy enough to keep the receipt) and planning on getting samples from the more expensive screen builders like you are. Anyhow, I just thought you might like to take a look at it.

Are you getting samples from more companies like Da-Lite and Draper as well? I need to compile a list of who to get them from...
    Jon O.

I actually left this job in May of 2004 to go travel. So, it's nice to be back. Commuting an hour each way at my last job was just wearing me down...

Yeah I plan on getting some from Draper and DaLite too, as well as a few others. Stewart seems to get some of the best reviews, but they are pricey. Throughout my whole HT building process, I've been going with mid-fi budget products, and Carada seems like a promising purchase. It's another online company, and they get glorious reviews from other Outlaw Audio and SVS type owners. Just have to compare the samples once I get a PJ setup so I can make the determination myself.

Damn man, an hour each way blows. I'm at about 15mins plus 5-10 mins to the squadron depending on how busy the gate is to get on base (which reads as: depending on how close I am to being late for work).
    You've definatley done well reducing that commute.

I think that we are on somewhat of the same page as far as mid-fi goes. That seems to be where I'm landing, but at a notch below you (HK AVR-435 and not separates, but with Toshiba MT700). I am very very concerned about bang for my buck, and this Optoma Graywolf seems to be a nice screen. I was going to post additional negatives tonight, and maybe it's the wine talking, but it looks damn great tonight. I can't wait to see how it fares against more expensive competition.

I didn't know Carada was another of the "online only" type companies. It makes me very intrigued. Very funny how I now percieve "internet direct" as "hi-fi/hi quality" now. Thanks Ascend...haha
    Jon O.

Well guys, I took the plunge today and purchased a Sanyo PLV-Z3 through Visual Apex. Excellent price and customer service.

I'm biting my nails about having the image go blue and the lamp blow at hour 2. :E

I'm biting my nails about having the image go blue and the lamp blow at hour 2.
    Don't worry...as long as you have a good lawyer you should have no problem getting it serviced under warranty.

Don't joke about those incidents on AVS. They almost had me switching to the Panasonic unit...