Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Projector Process...

Default Boston, MA Hi-Fi shops

Hey Nicholas, what do you guys have in Boston for hi-fi a/v shops (ones with projectors)? My best friend lives in boston and is in the market for a PJ - I'm giving him some pointers and wanted to point him in the direction of some good places to check out. Thanks...
    Jon O.

I dunno, I live in the central part of the state.
    I'll be looking into it myself this summer...

Ahh okay. My bad - I thought you were in Boston for some reason. Thanks. Any developments in your search?
    Jon O.

I've definetly settled on going LCD over DLP for my front projector. Given the +/-'s for the LCD PJ's in the $2k range, I'm also pretty much settled on getting the Sanyo PLV-Z3.

My home theater project coffer has about half the clams I need. Should be ready to purchase one by the end of July...

Nicholas,
    Can you give us a rundown on the pros and cons of LCD vs DLP in that price range?
    -curtis

Well this is what I found on DLP and LCD units in the $2000 range.

DLP
    + + +
    ~ Excellent black levels.
    ~ Excellent resultant contrast.
    - - -
    ~ Temporal Dithering Artifacts.
    (This is what bothered me most. During some scenes on DLP units parts of the image were blurry/lagging.
    ~ Slightly higher cost than comparable LCD units.
    ~ Although I can't see them, "Rainbow" artifacts.

LCD
    + + +
    ~ Fantastic colors (seemed a bit better than comparable DLP units for some reason).
    ~ No visible artifacts. Image is clean, crisp, and fluid.
    ~ Slightly cheaper than comparable DLP units.
    - - -
    ~ Black levels definetly not as good as comparable DLP units.
    ~ Resultant contrast not quite as good as comparable DLP units.

While the blacks werent as great with LCD units in side-by-side comparisons with DLP units, when viewed seperately I didn't really notice a huge difference after a few minutes of viewing. Whereas with the DLP unit I was instantly bothered with artifacts and a slight headache for some reason.

Now that I settled on LCD based front projection, I looked at the popular units in the $2k range.

Sanyo PLV-Z3
    InFocus SP5000
    Panasonic AE700U
    Sony HS51

Based on reviews, the Panasonic and Sony have the best contrast, but each have a multitude of minor problems. The Panasonic also uses a special lens/filter that acts like a fancy mirror and splits every projected pixel into multiple pixels. Apparently this reduces viewable pixelation, but any pixelation that is viewable has a "wavy" look to it rather than perpendicular lines. I wasn't all that excited by this description. The Panasonic and Sony are also more expensive than the InFocus and Sanyo by a few hundred dollars. The InFocus has the worst specs, but cheapest price. The Sanyo PLV-Z3 is apparently a simple unit that doesn't try to do what it can't. To me it seems like a good comprimise, and can be had for about $1800 shipped. It's reviews place it right beside/slightly behind the Sony/Panny units in contrast levels, but it doesn't seem to have any technical issues, and it offers many practical features for a perfect setup. The LCD panels are also user-cleanable. With 1080p DVDs hopefully around the corner and 1080p projectors on the market, I'll be upgrading in a few years to 1080p projection anyways which really takes any desire out of me for spending more than $2k on a PJ.

Here is a review...
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-part-1.html

Thanks a lot! That would be the same price range I would be in as well.....but not for some time.

What about LCD's "screen door" issue?
    -curtis

If you sit really close you can see it, but it's not as bad as it use to be. Visible screen door effect is now about the same on DLP units as it is on LCD machines.

It really comes down to better blacks & contrast along with artifacts for DLP, or a nearly flawless image with a bit worse blacks & contrast for LCDs. As the above linked reviewer stated, "I'll choose the latter".

Thanks again Nicholas.

I have a friend that has a DLP projector. She says she can see the rainbow effect......I can not.

I have a DLP RPTV, if I think about it and look for it, I can see screen door.

Can't complain though, I got a great deal on a the TV and got into HDTV a year ahead of schedule.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    If you sit really close you can see it, but it's not as bad as it use to be. Visible screen door effect is now about the same on DLP units as it is on LCD machines.

It really comes down to better blacks & contrast along with artifacts for DLP, or a nearly flawless image with a bit worse blacks & contrast for LCDs. As the above linked reviewer stated, "I'll choose the latter".
    since your in an apartment, how big do you think you can get your screen to be. and how are you going to control the light situation if you have sunlight problems.