Thread: Projector Process...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Projector Process...

I've decided against going for a 480p 42" plasma in favor of a 720p 72" projected image.

72" image at an 8' viewing distance is above the 1.3 distance recommendation for 720p.

While I'm a couple/few months away from purchasing a projector (have to get one more sub first), I've started doing my research. Pretty soon I'll be finding some places to audition as well. I'm also purchasing knowing that HD-DVD and 1080p will hopefully be mainstream within 2 years, so I'm keeping my spending capped at around $2500 for the PJ.

I want 720p resolution, but haven't decided on a technology yet. Both DLP and LCD PJs both have their issues. Obviously LCDs have poor blacks, darker images, larger SDE, and a rumored blue-chip degradation. DLPs have the rainbow effect, dithering (a lagging/smearing during fast pans), and relative higher cost.

For LCD projectors I'm considering...
    Sanyo PLV-Z3 ~$1800
    Panasonic AE700U ~$1900 w/Rebate
    InFocus SP5000 ~$1800

On the short DLP list are...
    Toshiba TDP-MT700 ~$2500
    BenQ PE7700 ~$2800

(Note: BenQ produces both of these HD2+ 720p DLP PJs, but the Toshiba ironically has Faroudja processing at a lesser price)

I currently plan on purchasing a 72" Carada screen.
    Here is a mock-up of what a 72" screen will look like made to scale out of posterboard (minus the black border). I'll have another SVS 16-46 PC+ next to my FL speaker, the mini-TV will be going, and my stack of equipment will also be relocated. The photo is kind of skewed as I'm standing slightly to the side at the rooms entrance.

Just for reference, my room layout again...

I read the whole Toshiba TDP-MT700 thread at AVS last night. First off, here are a couple screenshots I stole showing a comparison between the Toshiba and the older Sanyo Z2. The difference in black levels between the HD2+ equipped Toshiba and 3xLCD setup of the Sanyo is quite obvious.

I'm definetly going to have to check out how singlechip DLP affects me though. Anyhoo, thats my progress in this endeavor thus far.
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 04-24-2005 at 09:34 PM.