Thread: HTM-200 vs CBM-170 for HT and music?

Abhi, I originally had a HTM-200 for my center channel with 4 CBM-170s for my mains and surrounds. I have since upgraded my center to the new CMT-340c. My recommendation would be to get CBM-170s for the mains and center with HTM-200s for suround duty. In my experience, the HTM-200 was lacking when asked to perform as a center, but I do think it is a fine surround speaker. 3 CBM 170s would provide a matched-timbre, seamless front soundstage so important to HT.

I'm in agreement with Ben. But if you have the space, I would add a 4th option, and consider the CMT-340c for center duty.

-curtis

Ben,
    Thanks for the reply!
    It means that option 2 is ruled out. How about option 1?
    I originally had Energy Encore system, which was pretty good for HT but I expected more from them when it came to music. I got Merak MT66(smallish tower) and kinda liked them. Then I replaced them with Dahlquist QX6s/QX4s.
    Everyone raves about CBM-170s, but there is not much about HTM-200s that you find on the Net. Even the audioreview.com has not a single review for HTM-200s as main speakers and they have more than 65 reviews for CBM-170!

Curtis,
    I thought about CMT-340 L/R/c but they might be an overkill for my living room. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck for a 20'x20' room. 170 and 200 have a very less difference in their prices. I want to know whether the same is true with their performance.

In that big of a room, I would take a closer look at the CMT-340 setup. The 170 and 200 will do fine in that room, but be as "room filling" as the 340's. My room is 14 x 18, my original 170 and 200 setup was fine, but with the 340's up front now, the soundstage is definitely bigger.

Performance wise, the biggest difference in the 170 and 200 is in the extension and midbass. The 170's are simply more capable there, and for a lot of material they do not require a sub. The 200's were designed as true satellite and "require" a sub. The 200's are also a more forward speaker.

-curtis

Abhi, for the nominal extra expense maybe you should also consider 4 170s for the mains and surrounds, a CMT340c for the center and a HTM-200 for the rear (I just noticed in your 1st post that you're going 6.1). The 4 170s will give you a more satisfying soundstage with multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As. IMHO you'll be very impressed with the Ascend's musical abilities. The HTM-200 seems to have a wider dispersion pattern (perhaps due to the dual mid/woofers) that will make it a good choice for use as a single rear. Hope this helps!

I second Curtis' opinion.

Pin

Thanks guys! Finally I ordered 5 CBM-170s! I'll get them sometime next week. Instead of going for CBM-170(L/R), CMT-340c and HTM-200(surr) system, I went for CBM-170s all around. This way I'll have a better surround department and very capable center (though not as capable as CMT340) for $100 less!!

Abhi,
    Congrats on your purchase, enjoy your Ascends and post your impressions when you get a chance!