Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Well, I finally pulled the trigger

My speakers were delivered to my house about 25 minutes ago and I get off work in 25 minutes.

I shouldn't have told everyone I was getting them today. It would be too obvious if I suddenly came down with a case of Brown truck fever.

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3
    I shouldn't have told everyone I was getting them today. It would be too obvious if I suddenly came down with a case of Brown truck fever.
    Don't worry.......the pain of waiting will make you remember the next time.
    -curtis

I will write up details when I have more time but I will give some initial impressions for now.

My L and R speakers are on TV trays right now because the stands haven't come in yet and I need to get the center up above the TV instead of almost all the way to the floor in the tv stand. Got some real "Hilbilly audio" goin here until I get the stands and a center channel mount.

The clarity of these speakers IMO completely outclasses anything I have heard in this price range. These aren't the best speakers that I have ever heard but the better speakers I heard started at about four times the price. I was concerned that a set of $600 speakers would not be an upgrade to my current speakers which also cost $600 but the Ascends truly provide a much better sound. I also found that I could play these speakers much louder than my previous speakers without the sound becoming strained. I can listen to music again. I stopped listening to music because my old speakers annoyed me but I was very impressed with the Ascends in the short time that I played music this evening.

More details to come as time permits.

Just wait until you get things properly set up and add some break in time...they'll really shine!!

Randy

Something that I can comment on without getting my placement all straightened out is the appearance and construction.

The overall look of the speakers is very nice. Although the finish is not wood veneer it is much better than a fake wood grain finish IMO. They have a nice almost pro-audio look to them. The texture of the finish is very uniform and there are no noticeable imperfections.

The construction is very solid and they have a nice heft to them that gives them a solid, substantial feel. The binding posts on the back are obviously of high quality and the banana plugs go in with a snug "thunk" that lets you know everything is securely attached.

If it is sunny when I get off work tonight I will take them out on my patio and get pictures in natural sunlight and post a link.

I took some pictures this evening but they didn't turn out very well so I will take another shot at it this weekend.

Congrats dae3dae3!

You and I are in the same boat, I just ordered 340 front and center as well. Only my boat is about a week behind your boat!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Same boat here too...

Ordered the 170-340c-170 combo on Tuesday. They will be here tomorrow

Today I ordered a pair of 340 mains.
    Not sure when they will be shipped out or delivered, but I figure by Wednesday I should be swimming in speakers!

We are all very lucky!

cheers and congrats to all in this boat.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

I found last night that when listening to music in stereo I get a better sense of imaging when I put the receiver in Direct mode that does not use the center channel than when I put it in one of the Dolby digital modes where it actually uses the center channel.

It is amazing how well the 340M's image.

My advice, turn off all those electronic modes and let the speakers sing.

My experience so far has been that every time I have been a little disapointed in the sound of something out of the speakers I have found that I had something screwed up in the receiver and when I got it fixed the speakers went back to sounding great. It is kind of like comuter programming; you put garbage in, you get garbage out.