Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buzz from front left 340 - Any thoughts??

Default Buzz from front left 340 - Any thoughts??

Last night I noticed a very slight buzzing sound coming from my front left 340M. I shut the source off (tv at the time) and it was still there. It's only that one speaker. Any ideas what might cause this? The volume of the noise does not change with an increase or decrease in the volume. And again it's only that one speaker so I really don't think it a ground loop.

Thanks,
    Brian

Swap the main speakers. If the buzz stays on the left side, I'd check the receiver. If it switches places and comes out of the right side, I'd suspect the speaker and call Ascend.
    - EVH III

Brilliant idea eddy, thanks. One more thought, could it be emi/rfi?

Okay swapped speakers and got the same thing, so it's either the amp or "noise"...whew

Here is an index of articles that may help...

Not all of them are still valid links, but this one and
    this one seem pertinent.

Thanks.

Wouldn't a ground loop be present in all of the channels though, not just one? And aside from that, all of the HT outlets are grounded in the same place, so theoretically there should not be a problem. I'm going to try switching a couple of channels around to see if it's the amp. It's not really noticeable unless I place my ear to within ~6" but I don't want it to hurt my speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    Wouldn't a ground loop be present in all of the channels though, not just one?
    Probably. I'm no expert, just offering some info. I think the second link I sent you talks about picking up radio noise, not ground loop.

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    Okay swapped speakers and got the same thing, so it's either the amp or "noise"...whew
    make sure you don't have any cables dangling around, especially RCAs that might be touching something. any new devices in the house (telephone, etc.)?

I wasn't being critial Senibull, I was noting something I picked up in the link that you provided. It said that a ground loop typically occurs if you have two components that have different grounds. In my case, everything is running to the same 60Amp box which is grounded correctly (according to my little three light tester).

All of my cables are seperated (audio w/audio, video w/video power w/power etc.), wrapped, and strapped to the rack in separate "trunks."

When I get home from work I am going to check that channel on my amp, I have a sneaking suspicion that's where it's coming from. When I received my Ascends, I went through and changed on of the channels that was powering a rear to the front. I didn't notice the noise before.

If that is the problem, I would rather use that channel in the rear and not in the front, given the location of my rear speakers, I won't hear it at all.

You might try changing out the speaker wire for that channel and see if that is an issue or the interconnect.