Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Center channel placement

Default Center channel placement

For those interested...

Here is my placement recommendation for our CMT-340 center channel.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=939
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Placement of 170 center and a static question

Hi All,

The other day I picked up a used 170 center to replace my Athena AS-C1 center. Although dialog is much clearer with the 170c than with the Athena AS-C1 (which has an MTM layout) as center channel , the actor's voice is more easily localized as coming from above the screen. Although dialog is muddier with the Athena, I have a harder time telling where the actor's voice is coming from. Do you think this is a two drivers versus one issue (which could be resolved by using a 340) or do I need to play around with the placement of my center speaker.

Also, has anyone ever seen sparks coming out of your speaker after turning the power off? The other night after watching a DVD, I turned off all power to the system via my receiver's master power switch. I sat there in the dark for a few seconds and was 'shocked' to see/hear a series of three or four big sparks coming from the woofer of my 170. Could this have been dissipation of static or the charge from a capacitor somewhere in the system? The speaker sounds fine, so I'm not sure if it is something I should be worried about?

Thanks, Kurt Cannon
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 10-10-2005 at 06:51 AM.
    Kurt C.
    Radio Shack SPL meter, Avia HT setup disk
    DIY Absorption panels
    Athena AS-B1 fronts/surrounds
    Athena AS-C1 center
    SVS PB10 subwoofer
    Panasonic RP-56 DVD/CD player
    Yamaha RX-V650 receiver
    Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42-inch plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    The speaker sounds fine, so I'm not sure if it is something I should be worried about?
    This would worry me more than enough. Call Ascend and get some imput. I've got some ideas but it's best to talk to the pros.

David

The coating on the drivers is somewhat reflective, even through the grill. I would make sure you were not seeing some sort of a reflection first. There is nothing on the front of the speaker that conducts electricity.

As for the localization, I would try to 170 on its side to see how that sounds.
    -curtis

i know with my projector, the ascend logos themselves are very reflective and i can sometimes see silverish glints of light coming from them.
    powdered toast man away!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The coating on the drivers is somewhat reflective, even through the grill. I would make sure you were not seeing some sort of a reflection first. There is nothing on the front of the speaker that conducts electricity.
    It wasn't a reflection. The loud popping sound is what drew my attention to the speaker in the first place. It was only then that I saw the sparks and heard more popping. With the lights off, my HT/living room is completely dark, but I think the sparks were visible through the space between the woofer and the phase plug (the grill was off).

The good news is that I've been unable to replicate the sparking. I had just taken the speaker out of its shipping carton a few hours before I saw the sparks. Perhaps something got into the driver during shipping and has now worked its way out.
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 10-11-2005 at 06:32 AM.

Hi Kurt,

Sparks??? Well, that is a first

The fact that you heard this popping sound does concern me... Are you still hearing it? Are you hearing any 60Hz constant hum from the speaker?

My initial suspicion is that you might have a problem with your receiver (DC offset).. What receiver are you using and how old is it?

The speaker itself would not hold a static charge but if the power supply filter caps on your receiver are bad, you could get some nasty voltage spikes when they discharge... Have your receiver checked out.

Regarding localization... do you have the speaker oriented vertically or horizontally atop the television? Could you post or send a pic of the setup?

Thanks in advance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I saw sparking again this morning when I turned on my receiver. It happened continuously for about ten seconds after I powered up my one year old Yamaha RX-V650, then stopped. I think the receiver is OK as I've not had problems with other center speakers when doing the comparisons described below. The sparks arched between the phase plug and the metal ring that separates it from the woofer cone. BTW the "popping" sound comes only from the spark, it isn't amplifed by the speaker. I didn't have time to turn the receiver off, wait, and then try turning it on again, but I'll do it tomorrow morning.

On to the localization question. The speaker is oriented vertically and placed directly on top of my monitor. (I'll post pictures tomorrow). After more listening comparisons versus my old MTM-style center, my impression is that with a little effort, I can localize both speakers equally well as coming from above the monitor. However, the single woofer on the 170 makes it a bit easier to localize the source of the sound left/right as coming from a single point above the center of the monitor. The net effect is that although the 170 sounds much better, the illusion that the voice is coming out of the actor's mouth is less well maintained.
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 10-12-2005 at 06:23 AM.

My advice, arrange with Dave F to send that speaker back for a replacement. Even if it turns out being the receiver, that speaker might be damaged from the arcing. Perhaps the VC was damaged during shipping.

Default Re: Center channel placement

Wanted to know can the Horizon center channel be placed too low? Right now mine would have to on a stand in front of the TV I only 20 inches from bottom of the screen to the floor.
    Would this be to low that it would affect the sound (dialogue) coming from the speaker?

Thanks