Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Regrets

I am yet to hear another speaker in the CBM price range that sounds better to my ears. I've seen some nicer looking ones, but that comes down to priorities and I ended up creating very attractive CBMs anyway.

I'm yet to hear anything that makes me have regrets.

I am in the same boat as Brad, but I also own the CMT-340l/r. When I was using the CBM-170's, I compared them to a lot of speakers, and I am now doing the same with the CMT-340's......absolutely no regrets.

I do regret not saving for a seperate amp and pre/pro, but that it is much less of a priority.

-curtis

Curtis, I see you've mentioned the 340L/R here and in several other forums. Yet, on Ascends site, the only 340 model I see is the 340c center. Are you testing a new product, or am I just not seeing the l/r model on their site?

Or are they the same model, just stand them on end?

Thanks for your comments at the Spot, by the way.

Mark,

They are not on the website yet...but they are a real product. Ascend did not list them for inventory control reasons. They use the same cabinet and drivers as the center version. The crossover is slightly different as well. They can be had by a phone call. I just picked up the Home Theater Buyer's Guide...and all the Ascend speakers are listed.

Since you are pretty close, you are welcome to come listen to the 340's at my place as well.

And you are welcome.

-curtis

Quite honestly most of the regrets have been from other people who after hearing my Ascends were heard to say, "wow, I could of had an Ascend system"! []

Curtis,

Thanks.
    What's a pair of 340's cost? I'm guessing double the price on a 340c?

340 L/R pr are $500 the matching stands are $140(I think).

It is $140 + 8 for shipping on the stands when purchased with the 340s. This is a response I got from David when I asked about getting 3 340s and stands for the LCR duties of my theater.

"The speakers (3 CMT-340s) would be $768 + $24 for shipping. The stands are $140 for the pair + $8.00 for shipping.

Total cost = $940."

One hell of a deal that I am seriously chomping at the bit to jump all over.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Bighitter

It is $140 + 8 for shipping on the stands when purchased with the 340s. This is a response I got from David when I asked about getting 3 340s and stands for the LCR duties of my theater.

"The speakers (3 CMT-340s) would be $768 + $24 for shipping. The stands are $140 for the pair + $8.00 for shipping.

Total cost = $940."

One hell of a deal that I am seriously chomping at the bit to jump all over.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Got mine Friday. One of the guys at Ascend lives nearby, so I ordered on the phone, and he brought them over. I got the 3 CMT-340's and the stands. Still playing with the layout a bit, but they're definitley better than the Klipsch I have. I kind of think that instead of paying $140 for stands, I could use that towards a more expensive tower speaker. Then, I could wait a bit longer on a sub. Curtis, did you compare the Axiom M40 or M50 to the 340's? What did you think?

I have heard the M22 and the M60 in my own home. It is my understanding that the M40 and M50 do not sound like the M22 or M60. That said, the CBM-170 and M22 are comparable. The M60 is a nice speaker at $800/pr, and it plays does play bigger than the CMT-340, but when you introduce a sub, it brings things much closer together. Also the characteristics of those two Axioms are different than the Ascends.

Also, IMO, if a sub is going to be used, there is not that much advantage to having towers, unless you need a more room filling sound. I think someone once wrote "why buy bass twice?"

Axiom makes good stuff too. Maybe you can get a pair of the towers and do a comparison for us.

I'm actually getting a pair of custom stands made by www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com , custom height and finish. I needed the stands higher than the custom Ascends stands, and I'm getting them finshed to match some of my furniture.

-curtis