Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Default Ascend Shipping Status

Status update on shipping CMT-340SEs: we've pushed the date back to Sept. 28th for the resumption of production. My sincere apologies to all whose orders have been delayed -- inventory and distribution are among the chief challenges in our business. Thanks to everyone for their patience, and our stock issues should be over for quite some time after this.
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am looking for some mounting advice for a CMT-340. I have a Panny plasma wall mounted above a fireplace. The front edge of the TV is 9 inches from the wall. Since the CMT-340 is rear ported how far from the wall does it need to be? Since there is a fireplace below the TV, I have to mount it above. I am interested in any solutions others have come up with for a wall mounted plama or LCD TV. Thanks,
    DM

Hi Deerman,

The EXBAC crossover optimizations in our 340 SE center help compensate for close proximity placement of the speaker. This combined with an 80Hz crossover setting in your receiver (which greatly reduces the bass response of the speaker, thereby reducing the amount of air moving in and out of the port) should allow for placement as close as 6” inches to the wall behind it without compromising performance.

With that in mind, I would recommend some type of shelf mounting system. Perhaps a small shelf to hold the speaker or something like this bracket: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt15.html

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Deerman,

The EXBAC crossover optimizations in our 340 SE center help compensate for close proximity placement of the speaker. This combined with an 80Hz crossover setting in your receiver (which greatly reduces the bass response of the speaker, thereby reducing the amount of air moving in and out of the port) should allow for placement as close as 6” inches to the wall behind it without compromising performance.

With that in mind, I would recommend some type of shelf mounting system. Perhaps a small shelf to hold the speaker or something like this bracket: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt15.html

Hope this helps!
    Thanks Dave, 6 " - This is encouraging. I have been thinking I would need a foot or more space behind the speaker and that would mean the speaker is protruding over a foot farther thatn the TV.

The shelf you suggest extends for 11 inches and the 340 center will extend 16.5". Is there a way to secure the speaker to the shelf without the shelf extending all the way to the front of the speaker? In other words, the shelf will only be supporting 5 inches of the speaker and the other 5.5 will be overhanging. I doubt I can screw the speaker to the shelf without damaging the speaker, so do you have a suggestion as to how to make this work?

If I can't make the shelf work or decide the 340 extending out 7 inches above the TV is aesthetically too much of an overhang, do you have a smaller speaker you would suggest that would match the 340 mains?

Thanks,

DM

Hi Deerman,

Quote Originally Posted by Deerman
    The shelf you suggest extends for 11 inches and the 340 center will extend 16.5". Is there a way to secure the speaker to the shelf without the shelf extending all the way to the front of the speaker? In other words, the shelf will only be supporting 5 inches of the speaker and the other 5.5 will be overhanging. I doubt I can screw the speaker to the shelf without damaging the speaker, so do you have a suggestion as to how to make this work?

If I can't make the shelf work or decide the 340 extending out 7 inches above the TV is aesthetically too much of an overhang, do you have a smaller speaker you would suggest that would match the 340 mains?
    If you don't want to screw into the bottom of the speaker (you won't damage the speaker’s performance) than I would recommend securing the speaker with Velcro or earthquake putty. However using wood screws would be the best option. If you allow the speaker 5" clearance from the rear wall (which should be fine) the 340 will only extend 4.5" past the brackets. You can also buy " L " brackets from Home Depot or even " L " shaped shelf brackets and do the exact same thing (and even save some money)

If you want to use 340 mains as your left/rights (good choice ) I strongly recommend you figure out some way to use the matching 340 SE center. It is well worth it!

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default center channel confusion....

Im trying to decide how to mount my center... the "above the tv" option seems too high and there is no way i can mount it underneath. My tv sticks out farther than the DLP's ( rear projection hdtv) so i think a wall mount would be too close to the wall. Anyone mounting on top of a tv? How high is too high? Is it bad to have the center above ear level or above the level of the l/r speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by greggle31
    How high is too high? Is it bad to have the center above ear level or above the level of the l/r speakers?
    It's common to have the center speaker above the l/r. We compensate for that by angling it down. I use rubber door stops but there are many workable solutions. I don't know how high is too high. Sending a diagram to Ascend would probably answer that question.

David

The center of where I want to mount my center speaker is about 6 inches away from a wall stud. I want to use one of those CRT tv wall brackets. Any suggestions?

Thanks

What if I made a brace out of wood.

[------]

With one side being held by the wall stud and the other side holding onto drywall. Do you think I will be hold the weight of a tv bracket and the 350C?
    Last edited by Zinje; 11-13-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinje
    What if I made a brace out of wood.

[------]

With one side being held by the wall stud and the other side holding onto drywall. Do you think I will be hold the weight of a tv bracket and the 350C?
    How far apart are the studs? Can you connect the brace to each stud?
    -curtis