Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Default Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    haha good point. I bought a 42" 720p plasma for the meantime, I figured I'll put it in the bedroom when I upgrade in a few years and hd becomes more mainstream.
    here is a rather cheap (not by my wallet!) plasma with much more contrast (about 30,000:1) and possibly better viewing angles.
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier...9297538&sr=8-1
    My TV room is flooded with sunlight during the day, and plasma sets tend to have bad reflections in such rooms due to their glass front panel. But I'll agree that viewing angles are DLP's achilles heel. Plasmas may also have better contrast, which gives a "pop" to the picture.

But I can rationalize that I'm doing my part for the planet, since the DLP is Energy Star rated and uses about one-fifth the energy of that plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by ddlooping View Post
    Any advance on your setup, Pete?
    I think I may go the easy way out, by buying this stand and putting the 340C on the middle shelf, which adjusts from 7.5 to 9.5 inches, which gives me enough room to angle the speaker up to the sweet spot.

The Omnimount G353, which is 20"H x 50"W x 16"D

http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...4-940786ef3d56

It's 50 inches wide, so the TV will overhang 2.4 inches on each side, which is fine with me, since I have a wall unit that goes on either side of the TV. I like the fact that it's only 16 inches deep (the spec sheet erroneously says 22"D, which is wrong, I called Omnimount)

My only concern is the 340C's rear port. It will have about 5 inches of clearance behind it. But I'm wondering if I will get some weird reflections due to the shelves and distance to the rear wall. Does anyone recommend putting any sound absorbent on the wall behind the speaker to minimize these reflections?

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    I think I may go the easy way out...
    Chicken!

Folks

I am wall mounting a sierra center for a 50" plasma, do people prefer below or on top of the panel ? What about height ? If I have my fr and fl at eye level if the center is above the panel its going to have to tilt down pretty far to hit the same point as the fronts. Viewing distance is 9 feet.

I have another Q, I have Sierra fronts too and 170's for my rears, a HK 645 AVR and a pair of obsolete **** Acoustimass II speakers which the Sierra's replaced. Can I use the **** either as the rears or sides for a 7.1 set up ? Or can I just use the sub piece of the **** system and play with a cross over setting on the AVR ?

Fraser,

To get sound out of tiny little cubes, they place a very high cross-over between the little cubes and the bigger box wich handles mid-bass and below. I don't know the cross-over, but if it's 1kHz or 300-400Hz I would not be at all surprised. The idea is then to locate the box near the TV set so that the sound is centered on the screen. The subwoofer-looking boxes that come in their set doesn't go lower the the Sierra-1-- two friends with **** who like movies have bought other subs (like Velodyne, etc) and crossed to these with their amps.

Linearity and accuracy to source is not something **** Accoustimass prides themselves on or publishes specs for....

From this standpoint, using either the cubes or the box unit by themselves will severely compromise the sound of your system and using them together is still not optimal. You may prefer to relocate them to another room where their limited visual cross-section are an asset. I would suspect that even inexpensive contractor grade speakers (like Proficients) will sound much better.

Thanks for the info, I guess the **** speakers are off to the garage, at least they will get some use.

Sooooo, I have Sierras fronts, and 170's as rears do I keep them as true rears in a 5.1 or move them to the sides and leave space for others at some point for 7.1

I am wiring my basement so trying to figure out if I get ceiling mounts at the rear or side wall mounts for the 170's as a side role..

F.

Fraser,

My comments about **** are my general impression from listening to them, helping friends set theirs up, and what I've read but I could be wrong for your specific HW. I'd suggest you check your **** manual or contact ****, ask about what the cross-over point is or simply try them out if it not in your manual before moving them to the garage. The Series II talks about accepting a subwoofer out and having placement flexibility, so it's possible the little cubes handle >120Hz or >80 Hz (though as I mentioned maybe not the most accurate, linear response).

If your sub doesn't have a separate subwoofer in, for sure, you should not break them up and expect a response to 80Hz.

The **** sub alone I would still not recommend using with the Sierra-1's, even if the Cross-over is 80Hz.

I would strongly expect a sound system to sound much better with 5.1 Ascend vs. 7.1 mix of Ascend and ****.

Lightbulb Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Hi all

This is the home-made cheap solution I came up with for my 15kg Calliope center speaker...

For more info, please refer to the following thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    Folks

I am wall mounting a sierra center for a 50" plasma, do people prefer below or on top of the panel ? What about height ? If I have my fr and fl at eye level if the center is above the panel its going to have to tilt down pretty far to hit the same point as the fronts. Viewing distance is 9 feet.

I have another Q, I have Sierra fronts too and 170's for my rears, a HK 645 AVR and a pair of obsolete **** Acoustimass II speakers which the Sierra's replaced. Can I use the **** either as the rears or sides for a 7.1 set up ? Or can I just use the sub piece of the **** system and play with a cross over setting on the AVR ?
    center mounting was really frustrating for me. the best I could find was lifting the tv up and putting the speaker underneath and angled up; this seemed best for my needs, especially b/c I lay back or down on my couch, and it sounds much better this way. having it above my tv was too distracting

i know this was a old post but is this wall bracket for the 340se center available or does anyone have a good suggestion for a sierra-1 center wall mount ?