Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Smile Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Hi all

A cheap solution (<$10) for those of you with light(ish) center speakers.

What you need:
    - for your TV pedestal to be able to take the extra weight of the speaker.
    - 3 pieces of wood, a few screws and some paint.
    - some optional plastic thingies to use as cable-tidy.

When using the projector I simply remove the speaker from its stand and place it in front of the tv.

Default Mounting to entertainment center bridge

I took a couple photos. The bridge is made from substantial particle board, just over an inch thick. The shelf probably acts as a structural stiffener, so it's going to hold up just fine. The bridge probably weighs 80 -100 pounds (complete guess, it takes two people some serious effort to lift it up there), so I doubt it's going to be affected by another 26 pounds of speaker.

The depth of the shelf under the bridge is 16 inches, so there is plenty of room behind it for the 10.5-inch deep 340. Maybe not the 1-2 feet some people suggest, but at least about 4-5 inches.

I don't have the TV yet, so you are looking at the old TV that has a nice big shelf on it. The front of the speaker is isolated from the TV with some foam weatherstripping, and I'm using the super high-tech door stops to angle the speaker downward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M3_Pete; 03-13-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Smile Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Hello Pete.

How about the following?

or for a more "stealthy" approach (also easier matching of wood/wall color):

- Bottom of the vertical bits cut at the desired speaker angle.
    - 4 screws (2 each side) going through the shelf into the vertical bits.
    - Horizontal bit glued or bracketed to vertical bits.

What do you think?
    Last edited by ddlooping; 03-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ddlooping View Post
    Hello Pete.

How about the following?

or for a more "stealthy" approach (also easier matching of wood/wall color):

- Bottom of the vertical bits cut at the desired speaker angle.
    - 4 screws (2 each side) going through the shelf into the vertical bits.
    - Horizontal bit glued or bracketed to vertical bits.

What do you think?
    Dude, you gotz mad photoshop skillz!

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea, I think I may actually have a spare shelf from the entertainment center I can sacrifice for the project.

Thanks for the idea and the photoshop work!

Thumbs up Re: Center channel mounting solutions

You're very welcome and thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by s2pdname View Post
    I am in the same situation, and I think we have very similar tv's. If I move my TV (DLP - Sammy HLP) back against the wall, I would have enough room on the stand to place the 340-C on the TV stand in front of the television. However, that completely blocks my remote sensor. If you come up with something, let me know.
    I just looked at the first page of this thread again, just to make sure I didn't miss any critical advice from Dave about how far the 340C should be from the wall. And I found this post.

ALthough it's nearly 4 years later, and I'm sure he came up with a solution by now (and maybe even a new TV), I can't understand why he didn't put the 340 on top of the HLP.

I have the HLP5674W in the photos I posted, and it has a great center speaker shelf. Maybe there was an HLP that didn't have the shelf, but mine has been up there for a least four years with no issues.

My new TV will also be a DLP, the Sammy HL61A750, but it lacks a shelf and I'm told the top frame is pretty flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    My new TV will also be a DLP, the Sammy HL61A750, but it lacks a shelf and I'm told the top frame is pretty flimsy.
    how come the DLP, do you prefer this type of tv?

Question Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Any advance on your setup, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    how come the DLP, do you prefer this type of tv?
    It's the best bang for buck TV in large screen sizes.

I got an HL61A750, 61 inches with an LED light engine for $1450, delivered. http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL61A750

Although I do think the new LCD sets are better looking, particularly the LED backlit ones, they are like $4000 for a comparable size. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92735
    http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC.../dp/B000W4RWEQ

You can get a large LCD set for cheaper, but then they are not as good looking as the DLP. Eventually, I'll get a cutting edge TV, like an OLED set, but this one should last me the 5 years it will take for OLED sets to get affordable. (or whatever else is the hot new TV in 2014)

I will say though, looking at the new and old sets side by side, with DirecTV HD, the old one looks almost as good as the new one. I have not compared them with Blu-Ray yet, so I'm hoping that will be a bigger difference.

I got the new TV on Tuesday. I lose the old TV on Sunday, but I'm camping till Saturday, so I may not have time to get anything built right away. I'm still leaning towards ddlooping's idea, although I may modify it slightly to be able to adjust the height and angle of the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    It's the best bang for buck TV in large screen sizes.

I got an HL61A750, 61 inches with an LED light engine for $1450, delivered. http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL61A750

Although I do think the new LCD sets are better looking, particularly the LED backlit ones, they are like $4000 for a comparable size. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92735
    http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC.../dp/B000W4RWEQ

You can get a large LCD set for cheaper, but then they are not as good looking as the DLP. Eventually, I'll get a cutting edge TV, like an OLED set, but this one should last me the 5 years it will take for OLED sets to get affordable. (or whatever else is the hot new TV in 2014)

I will say though, looking at the new and old sets side by side, with DirecTV HD, the old one looks almost as good as the new one. I have not compared them with Blu-Ray yet, so I'm hoping that will be a bigger difference.

I got the new TV on Tuesday. I lose the old TV on Sunday, but I'm camping till Saturday, so I may not have time to get anything built right away. I'm still leaning towards ddlooping's idea, although I may modify it slightly to be able to adjust the height and angle of the speaker.
    haha good point. I bought a 42" 720p plasma for the meantime, I figured I'll put it in the bedroom when I upgrade in a few years and hd becomes more mainstream.
    here is a rather cheap (not by my wallet!) plasma with much more contrast (about 30,000:1) and possibly better viewing angles.
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier...9297538&sr=8-1