Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Curtis, I was thinking of something like this....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

OK..got it. Geez....if you can draw like that, just build it yourself!

Might it interfere with cables behind the TV?
    -curtis

I have considered that, but I don't have the tools. It is easier to draw what I want than to build it!

The back would be open except for the uprights, so the cables would be fine. The AQUOS has a cable management setup to keep everything centered.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I guess my only concern would be stability.

I think something like that would sell well.
    -curtis

That's why I have the base of the stand under the tv base. The weight of the set will anchor the stand and give it stability. Plus, it is more or less a cantilevered design, with the weight of the speaker centered over the base. Should be very stable. My surround stands are designed the same way. The QS-8's are heavy little suckers and my stands are about 5ft. tall.....no problem!

So, Dave......would you be interested in marketing an Ascend-built center stand like that?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Default Considering 340SE Center

I'm on the fence right now, especially due to the sale going on right now! I purchased two 340SE mains last year, and have wanted to purchase a center since. I have a few concerns though, one of them being WAF.

I have a 6ft wide TV stand, which is approx. 2ft tall and about 2-3ft deep. Currently I have the two 340's at the extreme ends, and a 42" lcd between them on the "duck foot" stand. I tend to pull them away from the wall, but the wife pushes them back. Even though they are ported, I can't really tell that it causes any issues.

If I got the center, I would have a few options.
    1. Set it horizontally and set the TV on top of the speaker. An LCD is not terribly heavy, so I don't think this would cause any issues.
    2. Set it horizontally and wallmount the screen. I already have the mount, but when I set the TV on the stand during unpacking, I realized it was at the perfect height, so never mounted it.
    3. Mount the center speaker above the TV. I would have to get some sort of mounting, and it would most likely stick out further than the TV since it is also generally pushed back to the wall. Predict lowest WAF with this...

Of course the last option is resist the temptation. I'm doing ok with 2.1 right now, but I know at some point I will want that dedicated center, and eventually some in-wall surrounds. (the room is not very large at all...I probably should have gone with 170's)

Opinions on how option 1 or 2 would sound? Would flat on the TV stand be ok, and would the very limited separation cause issues? The mains are only about 4 feet apart now, so the center would be only about 1 foot from each.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't see much purpose for a center channel with your L/R abutting the sides of the TV. Quite frankly, many LCD TV's COME with slim speakers that directly mount to the sides of the TV, or they're even built-in to the side, with the L/R designed to act in stereo. Anyway, with them that close, the sound should already be well anchored to the TV.

I'd have to see your room, but I'd be thinking of ways to get the L/R further apart, then maybe thinking about a center channel (and surrounds too!).

I'm moving my room around, getting a projector and screen, etc. Now my center channel (340SE) will need a speaker stand.

I need it to be about 2-3' high, and able to tilt toward the listening position.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post
    I'm moving my room around, getting a projector and screen, etc. Now my center channel (340SE) will need a speaker stand.

I need it to be about 2-3' high, and able to tilt toward the listening position.

Any suggestions?
    What about a single TP-24 stand? Not sure about the tilt but you could place something under the speaker to force the angle...

Just a thought..
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave.
    I was thinking about that as an option.
    But I think my wife would like something that is skinnier so it doesn't block the view of the fireplace so much. So I'm looking for something with a wide base, fairly skinny pole/stand, and wide base at the top.