Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

The center channel of choice before the 340 was another 170.

And remember, that was before the flat/thin TV boom where you could set your speaker on the TV.

And still, there are not many good choices in center channels with easy mounting solutions. The one you linked to is great, but it is actually a VESA mount meant for TV's and monitors.

I bet though, with some stuff from the hardware store, any speaker with some threaded inserts can be attached to a mount like that.

I wouldn't put any weight on the frame of a LCD screen.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The center channel of choice before the 340 was another 170.
    I simply find that hard to believe. Per what I already said, the 170 looks like anything but a center channel. I'd put the WAF on the 170 as a center channel as a 2, at best.

And remember, that was before the flat/thin TV boom where you could set your speaker on the TV.
    True, but this is the reason i have in mind why maybe Ascend should consider adjusting their speakers so that they remain functional as other technologies change. The TVs of today can no longer bear the weight of speakers of this size, so I hope at some point i hope I wont be asking too much for their speakers to support basic mounting options.

And still, there are not many good choices in center channels with easy mounting solutions. The one you linked to is great, but it is actually a VESA mount meant for TV's and monitors.
    Oh i definitely agree with this. LCDs are freggin everywhere now, so i'd like to see more overall development to deal with that issue, be it smaller/slim speakers or more mounting solutions for them. Just look at the number of threads on mounting center channels at AVS. Its a big problem.

I bet though, with some stuff from the hardware store, any speaker with some threaded inserts can be attached to a mount like that.
    I'm sure a real handiman type could solve my problem probably. I'm just not the type. But I could use an omnimount 20 if the holes were repositioned (I think).

I wouldn't put any weight on the frame of a LCD screen.
    That's what the manual says. But I'm guessing it can handle an HTM-200 on its side. That's 7lbs spread out over a decent length. But I do agree, i'd prefer to mount it, hence my bitc**** about this.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    if Ascend is going to claim to have a center variant of the HTM-200, then those mouting holes should be repositioned.
    Hi Azanon,

Honestly, this is the first complaint we have received regarding this. Repositioning the holes means a new cabinet -- which means we would have to make 3 separate HTM-200 cabinets rather than 2. (HTM-200 are mirrored pairs). Our costs would increase and the HTM-200 costs us too much to build already. (2) 4" cast frame custom designed shielded woofers + a top quality Audax tweeter combined with an advanced dual layer crossover for $278/pr? Just one of those 4" woofers cost more than many stamped steel 5" or 6.5" woofers.

You can screw into the cabinet with small wood screws without problem if you needed to.

I suspect that many TVs and TV stands/racks will have better center channel options in the future. The problem is that there are no standards and as a loudspeaker manufacturer, we try to achieve high performance which often means bulky cabinets.
    Last edited by davef; 02-02-2007 at 12:39 AM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrsl
    Here are the pics of my center channel mount. Ignore the holes from my old speaker brackets. I've been enjoying my new Ascends too much to spackle.
    Wonderful job!!!

What bracket are you using and can you post a link to it?

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Azanon,

Honestly, this is the first complaint we have received regarding this.
    I'd be lying if i didn't say I am surprised by this. If for no other reason, because i certainly used the holes to mount the surrounds on the wall.

Repositioning the holes means a new cabinet -- which means we would have to make 3 separate HTM-200 cabinets rather than 2. (HTM-200 are mirrored pairs).
    Well i understand that, but you are selling three different speakers too so i know. Tradoffs, tradeoffs. If you were making it for just me though, i'd choose 1. pay more and get the holes right.

You can screw into the cabinet with small wood screws without problem if you needed to.
    I'd rather not void the warranty.

I suspect that many TVs and TV stands/racks will have better center channel options in the future. The problem is that there are no standards and as a loudspeaker manufacturer, we try to achieve high performance which often means bulky cabinets.
    I think that too....

You just about cant go through a full page of speaker threads at AVS and not spot at least one "how do i place my center channel" type thread per page. I'm reminded of how our local best buy store has devoted a good 1/3rd of the entire store to just LCDs/plasmas. No more huge CRTs to sit a 340 on (like i used to do, with the help of a Sanus shelf).

Well I got your great speaker in, and its balanced on my LCD with the back supported against my cabinet door; but of course the LCD is bearing all of the weight. It seems pretty stable and even not very prone to knocking over. It even passed WAF! I just hope my Sony Bravia 40" LCD can take 7lbs of weight indefinitely, lol.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Wonderful job!!!

What bracket are you using and can you post a link to it?

Thanks!

Thanks Dave! I'm really happy with the mount. My only complaint (if you can call it one) is that the bottom of the mount is a little closer to the front than yours. Depending on how deep the top of a particular TV is, you may not be able to get the mount flush with the TV if it is mounted too low. Mine is about 1/4" from the very front edge of my Samsung. I'm probably just being picky. The fact the mount can also swivel at the wall is great for installations where the nearest stud isn't centered behind the TV. I purchased the bracket from Bestbuy for $50 but I couldn't find a link on their site. Here is a link to the company's site though. In case my first link doesn't work, it's the 13" - 17" tv mount on the Vantage Point website.

Found the link at Bestbuy.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384432880

http://www.vanptc.com/products/displ...tid=4&loc=show

http://www.vanptc.com/
    Last edited by Kingrsl; 02-06-2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Found the link at BestBuy

Default misc

Yeah, If you have room on a wall for any kind of mount that allows you to sit the speaker on it, there are countless options out there. I must have found 25 mounts like that of varying designs when i was searching for something i could use.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Default pics

My setup seems to be working great. I'm lovin' the HTM-200C. My LCD seems to be just fine after a few days' weight of an HTM-200. Dont try this at home boys and girls! hee
    Here's my front entertainment center setup (40" HDTV w/ OTA/DirecTV HD, Oppo 971H, H/K 140, 340SE Front, HTM-200C, HTM-200s rear, (edit) HSU VTF-2 Sub):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by azanon; 02-08-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Default second

Its hard to tell, but there's actually about a foot of depth from that glass cabinet above the center channel to the wall. Knowing the width of an HTM-200, you can see i had very little room left to work with from the top of the TV to the bottom edge of that cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by azanon; 02-09-2007 at 08:33 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

looks good!

Is that a subwoofer on the counter as well?
    -curtis