Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Well, I got my 340 SE C channel this week. I have been agonizing for what seems like weeks on how to mount these.

I have a difficult set up. The space right above my RPTV is a knee wall that slants at a ~45 degree angle. I had to drill holes in the top of my previous center channel, and I anchored it to the knee wall with two omni mount AB1's.

I wanted the same flexibility my previous mounting solution provided, but I couldn't do it the same way because I refuse to drill a hole in my new center channel. Also, my previous center channel was irregular shaped, and the slight slope on the back provided a good place to drill the anchors in to have 45 degrees of play to adjust.

To make a long story short, my RPTV's top is just about flush with the knee wall. I bought some 20" metal brackets and a piece of 24*48" piece of wood and mounted to the top of the wall.

I took a piece of my audio component rack and got a custom paint color match and painted the wood to match the shelves.

So far, I'm really enjoying my new center channel, but they sound a bit different than my 170s I use as mains for the moment.

I hope to relegate those to the surrounds and replace with some more 340 SEs.

I have some pics if anyone would like to see.

Default will this work

Quick question guys: would this mounting solution work for an HTM-200; meaning would that bracket match up with the mounting holes on an HTM-200C? If so, are the 2 mounting holes adjusted to be located parallel with the length of the center channel on the "C" variant of that speaker?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=796306

Thanks,
    Azanon

(edit) I called ascend, and it seems like even though (one of the) holes would probably fit that mount, apparently they dont adjust the location of the 2 inserts to be parallel with the speaker for the "center" variant. So if i used that particular mount, the speaker would likely end up being mounted "off-center" if i'm imaging this correctly or it wouldn't be supported properly since you could only connect to one of them.

If you ask me, thats a disappointing design flaw since ideally the 2 inserts for a center channel speaker should be positioned lengthwise with the speaker. How hard can it be to relocate the +/- connectors, and insert backing for the center channel?
    Last edited by azanon; 01-29-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Here are the pics of my center channel mount. Ignore the holes from my old speaker brackets. I've been enjoying my new Ascends too much to spackle.

Default wall mount

Yeah when you have ample wall-space above your TV, its a no-brainer. If only we all had the perfect scenario.

I have a possible solution that would involve using an omnimount 20 for my HTM-200C, except there's one small problem; Ascend doesnt bother to relocated the (2) 1/4" x 20 holes in the center on the backplate which i presume has nothing to do with the sound of the speaker. It seems to me like a bit more effort than sticking a logo in a different spot and rotating a tweater 90 degrees should have been made in the C variant. Cost cutting can go overboard IMO.

And from the looks of it, the 340C has the same issue except it only has one hole to begin with! One hole for 26lbs, and it isnt centered. If its because of the port location, then i guess i can understand. But back to the HTM-200, it isnt ported, so there goes that excuse.
    Last edited by azanon; 01-31-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Maybe you should look for something that better suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    And from the looks of it, the 340C has the same issue except it only has one hole to begin with! One hole for 26lbs, and it isnt centered. If its because of the port location, then i guess i can understand.
    I don't think the hole is there for wall mounting, it is there to fasten it to the custom stand.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis

I don't think the hole is there for wall mounting, it is there to fasten it to the custom stand.
    Yes, the hole on the 340 is for the stability bracket between it and its' matching stand.

I might just do that. But i seriously doubt i'll be the only 3rd party reader that will recognize that as an inadequate and callous response. IMO, if Ascend is going to claim to have a center variant of the HTM-200, then those mouting holes should be repositioned.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Yes, the hole on the 340 is for the stability bracket between it and its' matching stand.
    That's fine; I probably shouldnt have even strayed on discussion of the 340.

My beef is with the 1/4" x 20 holes being on the side of an HTM-200C. Clearly, that's not the right place for them.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    I might just do that. But i seriously doubt i'll be the only 3rd party reader that will recognize that as an inadequate and callous response. IMO, if Ascend is going to claim to have a center variant of the HTM-200, then those mouting holes should be repositioned.
    Seriously, I am sure if the demand was high enough, it would be done. I have not seen many center channels that have type of an option.

You could also try a t-bracket from the hardware store.
    -curtis

Seriously, I am sure if the demand was high enough, it would be done. I have not seen many center channels that have type of an option.

You could also try a t-bracket from the hardware store.
    Well, the 340s used to not even exist, and with the MTM design of the HTM-200, one would have thought it was at least at one time a popular choice for the center channel (as the CBM-170 looks like anything but a center channel, whether its used that way or not). I realize demand probably is low, but that should be offset by the fact that making an alternative backing should also be low overall cost to the company. Sometimes paying those extra dollars to go from having a product with minor inherent flaws to pseudo perfection can end up paying for itself over time.

Without me going through the trouble of taking pictures of what i have to work with, i'll just say i have a "jerry-rig" idea that i'm going to try first (which will involve literally balancing the front end of the htm-200 on my lcd (i'll use an adhesive tape probably), and pressing the back end of it against my entertainment center cabinet door). Hopefully that works. I'll check into what a t-bracket is too though, if that doesnt work.
    Last edited by azanon; 01-31-2007 at 10:57 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player