Page 1 of 20 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Lightbulb Center channel mounting solutions

Hi Guys,

Here is what I did in my home using a TV bracket I came across. This is the PERFECT center channel bracket for the CMT-340c. The bracket is rated at over 70lbs and angles the speaker downward at a perfect 7 degs. It is extremely secure and easy to mount and adjust. You can adjust the vertical angle (0 to 7 degrees) and adjust the horizontal angle if needed.

The front of the speaker will be approx 22" from the wall behind it. From my couch and looking at an upward angle, everything is hidden and it looks as if the speaker is floating.

These are now in stock, please give us a call if you wish to order one (they should be on the site soon)

Bracket = $50 + $8.00 UPS ground shipping

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo
    Are there any issues with placing the speaker this close to the wall since it is ported in the rear?
    None whatsoever... The bracket is 21 3/4" in total length from the wall behind it. The rear baffle of the speaker is 14.25" from the wall. This is more than enough clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    It looks to me that the speaker now doesn't even go past the TV screen. Isn't that creating any problems?
    Good eyes Lee ... Actually, I position the tv so that it is almost exactly flush with the front of the speaker (measures best when the speaker extends about 1" past the TV, buy my wife thinks it looks best when it is flush).

My TV (like most DLP, DILA, Plasma or LCD on stand) is less than 17" deep. This gives me plenty of room for optimal positioning.

The TV extends past the speaker in the pictures because I moved the TV forward so I could get behind and take a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    Hmmmm....DaveF doesn't have an Ascend logo on his center channel....hehehe
    Curtis.... nothing gets past you, does it

No logo.. no labels and not even a crossover in that unit. My personal 340 system is at the office this week undergoing some much needed refurbishing. My future speaker builder and his friends did quite a job on daddy's speaker cabinets. I figure, better that they pretend to "fix" the speakers then the TV

Hope this info helps out!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I tried to get away with a wall mount like that, but my wife resisted. We're moving the theater setup downstairs later this year where I won't have the ability to do a wall mount anyhow.

This is my attempt at a compromise: I built a DIY Salamander clone TV stand and put the 340C on a shelf below the TV. I noticed right away that the dialog was pulled down below the TV when compared to a phantom center channel image.

When I added the Auralex MoPads, the center channel image improved since the speaker was angled towards the listening position. I can still tell if I pay attention, but it's not bad. That said, the top edge of the 340C is still about 3/4" behind the front lip of the stand. It's the best I could do without having the bottom of the speaker hang over the edge a couple inches. I'm not sure how much it affects the sound quality, but whatever it does it can't be good.

I'd consider putting the 340C on a dedicated stand in front of the TV, but I'm lazy and want my remote to work. If I could rig up an IR remote extender, I'd consider it. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimsiff; 05-06-2005 at 11:45 AM.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    but I'm lazy and want my remote to work. If I could rig up an IR remote extender, I'd consider it. Any ideas?
    I am in the same situation, and I think we have very similar tv's. If I move my TV (DLP - Sammy HLP) back against the wall, I would have enough room on the stand to place the 340-C on the TV stand in front of the television. However, that completely blocks my remote sensor. If you come up with something, let me know.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

In one of the reviews I read, the guy used standard rubber door stops to tilt the 340 Center down at the correct angle.

Sounded just crazy enough to work.

Can you pull the speaker out just a tad more, or is the idea to make sure very little protrudes from the stand?

This doesn't help your situation, I like the stand. If it didn't cost so much, I probably would have gotten a Salamander. Are you going to make doors too?

IR repeaters are available. You can actually stick the extension emitters right on to the IR receiver of the TV, and place the extension receiver anywhere.

I use Mopads to angle my center channel down a bit...they work great.
    -curtis

Jim,

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing this year.

One thing that just occured to me is the possibility of having a shelf that slides out a bit for the center channel, so it can stick out during movies, but be fully inside the rack when not in use. It should just require sturdy bottom mounted drawer slides.

Curtis, I can pull the speaker out a bit more, but I fear for the 340's life with my 1 year old girl, and 5 and 7 year old boys running around. I might try it out and see what happens.

I agree, the cost of the Salamander is pretty steep. My quote for a Triple 20 with sides, doors, locks, an extra shelf, and extended rear panels was $1660!!! ... and it wouldn't accomodate a 340C on the center shelf. I built this stand for around $350. I am going to build frame and panel doors out of maple with safety glass inserts. They will look similar to the Salamander doors.

I'm sure I can google it, but do you know a good place to get IR repeaters?

Brad, I had the same idea about a sliding shelf. Salamander sells sliding shelf hardware, but you might be able to get similar stuff from tslots.com, 8020.net, or another vendor. It might be difficult to adapt standard cabinet slides to the slotted tubing.

The only reason I didn't try the sliding shelf idea is it would turn into a novelty for my 1 year old. I can see it now... in and out and in and out the shelf goes.
    -Jim

Jim,

I wasn't thinking of mounting to the uprights. You should be able to get get rails that would go between a sliding shelf and your existing shelf, assuming you have the height clearance for an extra layer.

D'oh! That's a great idea. Sometimes I overanalyze a problem and forget the KISS principle. I'd love to see your stand when you get to working on it.
    -Jim