Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounting solutions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo
    Are there any issues with placing the speaker this close to the wall since it is ported in the rear?
    None whatsoever... The bracket is 21 3/4" in total length from the wall behind it. The rear baffle of the speaker is 14.25" from the wall. This is more than enough clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    It looks to me that the speaker now doesn't even go past the TV screen. Isn't that creating any problems?
    Good eyes Lee ... Actually, I position the tv so that it is almost exactly flush with the front of the speaker (measures best when the speaker extends about 1" past the TV, buy my wife thinks it looks best when it is flush).

My TV (like most DLP, DILA, Plasma or LCD on stand) is less than 17" deep. This gives me plenty of room for optimal positioning.

The TV extends past the speaker in the pictures because I moved the TV forward so I could get behind and take a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    Hmmmm....DaveF doesn't have an Ascend logo on his center channel....hehehe
    Curtis.... nothing gets past you, does it

No logo.. no labels and not even a crossover in that unit. My personal 340 system is at the office this week undergoing some much needed refurbishing. My future speaker builder and his friends did quite a job on daddy's speaker cabinets. I figure, better that they pretend to "fix" the speakers then the TV

Hope this info helps out!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I tried to get away with a wall mount like that, but my wife resisted. We're moving the theater setup downstairs later this year where I won't have the ability to do a wall mount anyhow.

This is my attempt at a compromise: I built a DIY Salamander clone TV stand and put the 340C on a shelf below the TV. I noticed right away that the dialog was pulled down below the TV when compared to a phantom center channel image.

When I added the Auralex MoPads, the center channel image improved since the speaker was angled towards the listening position. I can still tell if I pay attention, but it's not bad. That said, the top edge of the 340C is still about 3/4" behind the front lip of the stand. It's the best I could do without having the bottom of the speaker hang over the edge a couple inches. I'm not sure how much it affects the sound quality, but whatever it does it can't be good.

I'd consider putting the 340C on a dedicated stand in front of the TV, but I'm lazy and want my remote to work. If I could rig up an IR remote extender, I'd consider it. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimsiff; 05-06-2005 at 11:45 AM.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    but I'm lazy and want my remote to work. If I could rig up an IR remote extender, I'd consider it. Any ideas?
    I am in the same situation, and I think we have very similar tv's. If I move my TV (DLP - Sammy HLP) back against the wall, I would have enough room on the stand to place the 340-C on the TV stand in front of the television. However, that completely blocks my remote sensor. If you come up with something, let me know.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Default Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by s2pdname View Post
    I am in the same situation, and I think we have very similar tv's. If I move my TV (DLP - Sammy HLP) back against the wall, I would have enough room on the stand to place the 340-C on the TV stand in front of the television. However, that completely blocks my remote sensor. If you come up with something, let me know.
    I just looked at the first page of this thread again, just to make sure I didn't miss any critical advice from Dave about how far the 340C should be from the wall. And I found this post.

ALthough it's nearly 4 years later, and I'm sure he came up with a solution by now (and maybe even a new TV), I can't understand why he didn't put the 340 on top of the HLP.

I have the HLP5674W in the photos I posted, and it has a great center speaker shelf. Maybe there was an HLP that didn't have the shelf, but mine has been up there for a least four years with no issues.

My new TV will also be a DLP, the Sammy HL61A750, but it lacks a shelf and I'm told the top frame is pretty flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    My new TV will also be a DLP, the Sammy HL61A750, but it lacks a shelf and I'm told the top frame is pretty flimsy.
    how come the DLP, do you prefer this type of tv?

Question Re: Center channel mounting solutions

Any advance on your setup, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by ddlooping View Post
    Any advance on your setup, Pete?
    I think I may go the easy way out, by buying this stand and putting the 340C on the middle shelf, which adjusts from 7.5 to 9.5 inches, which gives me enough room to angle the speaker up to the sweet spot.

The Omnimount G353, which is 20"H x 50"W x 16"D

http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...4-940786ef3d56

It's 50 inches wide, so the TV will overhang 2.4 inches on each side, which is fine with me, since I have a wall unit that goes on either side of the TV. I like the fact that it's only 16 inches deep (the spec sheet erroneously says 22"D, which is wrong, I called Omnimount)

My only concern is the 340C's rear port. It will have about 5 inches of clearance behind it. But I'm wondering if I will get some weird reflections due to the shelves and distance to the rear wall. Does anyone recommend putting any sound absorbent on the wall behind the speaker to minimize these reflections?

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    how come the DLP, do you prefer this type of tv?
    It's the best bang for buck TV in large screen sizes.

I got an HL61A750, 61 inches with an LED light engine for $1450, delivered. http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL61A750

Although I do think the new LCD sets are better looking, particularly the LED backlit ones, they are like $4000 for a comparable size. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92735
    http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC.../dp/B000W4RWEQ

You can get a large LCD set for cheaper, but then they are not as good looking as the DLP. Eventually, I'll get a cutting edge TV, like an OLED set, but this one should last me the 5 years it will take for OLED sets to get affordable. (or whatever else is the hot new TV in 2014)

I will say though, looking at the new and old sets side by side, with DirecTV HD, the old one looks almost as good as the new one. I have not compared them with Blu-Ray yet, so I'm hoping that will be a bigger difference.

I got the new TV on Tuesday. I lose the old TV on Sunday, but I'm camping till Saturday, so I may not have time to get anything built right away. I'm still leaning towards ddlooping's idea, although I may modify it slightly to be able to adjust the height and angle of the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    It's the best bang for buck TV in large screen sizes.

I got an HL61A750, 61 inches with an LED light engine for $1450, delivered. http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL61A750

Although I do think the new LCD sets are better looking, particularly the LED backlit ones, they are like $4000 for a comparable size. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92735
    http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC.../dp/B000W4RWEQ

You can get a large LCD set for cheaper, but then they are not as good looking as the DLP. Eventually, I'll get a cutting edge TV, like an OLED set, but this one should last me the 5 years it will take for OLED sets to get affordable. (or whatever else is the hot new TV in 2014)

I will say though, looking at the new and old sets side by side, with DirecTV HD, the old one looks almost as good as the new one. I have not compared them with Blu-Ray yet, so I'm hoping that will be a bigger difference.

I got the new TV on Tuesday. I lose the old TV on Sunday, but I'm camping till Saturday, so I may not have time to get anything built right away. I'm still leaning towards ddlooping's idea, although I may modify it slightly to be able to adjust the height and angle of the speaker.
    haha good point. I bought a 42" 720p plasma for the meantime, I figured I'll put it in the bedroom when I upgrade in a few years and hd becomes more mainstream.
    here is a rather cheap (not by my wallet!) plasma with much more contrast (about 30,000:1) and possibly better viewing angles.
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier...9297538&sr=8-1

In one of the reviews I read, the guy used standard rubber door stops to tilt the 340 Center down at the correct angle.

Sounded just crazy enough to work.