Thread: PCi 20-39 v. HSU VTF-3

Default PCi 20-39 v. HSU VTF-3

Not trying to start any big debate, just wondering if moving from my current sub (the SVS) to the top of the line HSU (same general power and driver size) would create a noticeable difference in the overall sound? Hoping that someone out there (Curtis maybe?) has compared them side by side. Any thoughts appreciated.

Noel
    340SE LCR
    340CMT surrounds
    SVS PB12+2
    PLV Z2 w/ Carada 102" screen
    HK230 and Parasound 855hca
    Buttkicker LFE
    Oppo DVD

remember...this stuff tends to get subjective.

About two years agoI compared my older VTF-3 to a 20-39PC+ in my own room. Both had more than enough output for my room and same deep output capability, but I felt the VTF-3 sounded more articulate in the upper bass, punchier/tighter. The differences were not extreme, but noticeable, especially nearfield. Also remember that these subs have gone through changes since then.

I would imagine the sound quality of the PCi subs to be not quite on par with the PC+ subs. If you filter out all the SPL comments, SVS customers that have upgraded from PCi to PC+ to PC-Ultra subs also express differences in sound quality.

If you are happy right now, I would wait and not spend the $700. Both Hsu and SVS have newer products coming down the pipe, such as Hsu's HO models, and SVS just released their PB12-ISDv. SVS's new "plus" box subs look nice too.

If you have upgradeitis and curiosity, then go for it.....if nothingelse, you will have an interesting time comparing. Not very many people get the chance to compare subs from each company, and with the internet subwoofer craze, it is an enlightening experience when you compare your own experiences with the stuff that gets posted.
    -curtis

Ditto what Curtis said. We seem to be living in the "Golden Age" of subwoofers, so unless you just have plenty of bucks, I'd wait a while. A lot of folks have new subs in the works, including HSU, SVS, and Mark Seaton. Within the next year there will be a multitude of choices for any budget.
    - EVH III