Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about Ascends

Okay, As far as EQ'ing goes I think I'll let my 435 do the work - which does it parametrically. I may if need be look into a BFD if the bass response still isn't satisfactory. But this is all down the road...I have to buy a sub first, haha.

So Horsepower - you going to buy some Ascends or what?! At least you know you can get good conversation/advice out of the deal (plus fantastic speakers)

Have you read any of the online reviews of the Ascends? I think there are links on the site...
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 04-16-2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: felt like it
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    So Horsepower - you going to buy some Ascends or what?! At least you know you can get good conversation/advice out of the deal (plus fantastic speakers)
    i dunno. not being able to secure them properly to a stand is kind of killing it for me.

which speakers are you comparing them to that can be securely attached to stands?

I just look at the Omnimount stands, they come with three mounting adapters. It would be interesting to see what those adapters look like. The CBM-170 does have threaded inserts for mounting purposes. Also, those Omnimount stands have a max recommended speaker weight of 10 lbs., which the 170 exceeds.
    -curtis

Horsepower,

I have my 170's attached to home made stands with a blue-tak alternative, once that stuff sets, it makes a very strong bond. I can lift up the 20 lb stands just picking up the 170's and I need to use a spatula to pry em apart.

Default thinking cap on....

I still think it wouldn't be too hard to make/bend/use something from like home depot - use the two screws on the back of the 170 - attach some sort of bracket/plate, which you then attach by screws onto your stand. Could be in an "L" shape or straight. I think creativity could take care of this eaisly. I plan on using double-sided 3m tape (strong stuff) or maybe strong velcro. Keep in mind that if they hit it hard enough to knock it off with that stuff on there they knocked over the stand anyways - filled or not I'd bet.

The 340 has a mounting plate to secure it to its matching stand - those could work for you. See "features" under the 340 main.

Like curtis said - I'm curious what speakers you've found that have perfect mounting solutions....
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCasaba
    Horsepower,

I have my 170's attached to home made stands with a blue-tak alternative, once that stuff sets, it makes a very strong bond. I can lift up the 20 lb stands just picking up the 170's and I need to use a spatula to pry em apart.
    I have my Altec Lansing surrounds mounted with blue-tak. It took a while but they are firmly set now. My surrounds are moved everytime I use them so the blue-tak gets a workout.

David

When I built stands for my 340's I used plexiglass to fashion a plate for attachment. Any material could be used but I thought the plexiglass added a little class. The speaker tolerates my German Shorthair (ahem...that's a dog...for all you perverts) bumping it all the time with no issues. For more stability bluetak could be used in addition.

Randy

We had a German Shorthaired Pointer for 18 years.
    -curtis

My eldest child has dumped the 170 a numer of times w/o damaging them. I've seen black nylon zip ties used to go around both speaker and stand plate. I've also heard of putting velcro on the stand and speaker bottom.