Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Satellite TV choices

Funny....I just realized, that since I have had the HDTV, I have become increasingly critical of my video.

oh no, help me!
    -curtis

Curtis,

Yeah, they JUST released that new HD DVR and I have already given them a hard time about it being only for new subscribers. Except for the two TV thing and HDMI instead of DVI, it doesn't really seem to be different than the old one (except that it is also about half as tall).

Having had a DVR for a couple of years, I really want a two tuner one and have just been waiting to move to HD at the same time.

The MPEG4 thing is certainly a concern and I would look at leasing/renting a unit instead of buyign one for that reason. Once they make the switch, I hope the PQ improves as well. I could definitely be better.

Brad,

When I was looking around, Dish Network didn't have any specials going on for new subscribers wanting the HD DVR......the cost for the hardware was the same for new and old.

The two tuner thing is a must have for me after owning the DirecTiVo.
    -curtis

Brad,

I just went to the Dish site to look at the offers and run through the online sign-up.

Right now, for new users, the cost of the new HD DVR amounts to about $250. I've got to say.....it is looking VERY tempting!
    -curtis

$250 for HD DVR? I think I paid more than that for my single tuner SD DVR when I got it a couple of years ago. Oh well, that's progress for ya.

OK....I made the switch to Dish and their new 942 DVR this week. After three days I am very happy. I still like the TiVo interface and functionality more, but that might be because I used it for 5 years.

Also, it has been announced that Dish will add 10 new HD channels that used to belong to the demised Voom begining May 1 at no additional charge to current HD subscribers. Downside is that they will be broadcast from a lesser used satellite and many subscribers will need an additional dish to receive the signals, also, that satellite is difficult to reach from the west coast. The signals will be mirrored on another satellite later.
    -curtis

Curtis, I'm glad to hear that your 942 is not having any problems. I have just ordered E* along with the 942 DVR (to be installed tomorrow). While researching, I spoke with a local installer who said for the month of April he had only dealt with two of these units and both were not operational right out of the box. But, price being a large consideration (WAF) I just couldn't pass up a two TV HDDVR. So, I sit here with my fingers crossed waiting for tomorrow.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

I was the second for my particular installer.

If you haven't found it already, http://www.dbstalk.com seems to be a great support forum.

Let me know how it goes for you.
    -curtis

I will check that out and report back after installation, thanks Curtis.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?