Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBM-170/CMT340 Prelim Review

Talking CBM-170/CMT340 Prelim Review

Well, it's finally happened. After about 2 years of research and pay raises, I've finally recieved my Ascends. So far I've picked up two CBM-170s and one CMT-340 for my dedicated basement home theater along with a Harman Kardon AVR-435 (sub and other speakers will come later).

This will only be a quick review since the speakers are not actually "set up" in the theater, but are setup temporarily so I could check them out. I have not done any calibration or EzSet/Eq - I just set them to "large" (no sub remember), put them on plastic tubs from the move, stole wires from my Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1s upstairs, and tried them out.

Boy, I am glad I did. These speakers are simply amazing. I knew this going in, but I was still stunned. To put this in perspective: I am mostly a movie watcher, and the speakers were going to be used for about 90% movies and 10% music; I usually only find time to listen to music in my truck, and find other things to do at home.

BUT - I hooked them up (the 170s) and started listening to some of the scratched CDs from my truck. I was floored. I immediately ran upstairs to get the 340 and wired it in. After that I sat and listened to CDs for about 2 hours. Please note that I have never, in my life, ever just sat and listened to music while doing nothing else for more than about 5 minutes. I just never found it to be engaging or engrossing enough to keep my attention.

Now - Engaging? Hell yes. Engrossing? Wow. The clarity and placement of the soundstage and instruments amazes me, as does the sheer accuracy of the speakers in replicating the recordings. I now find women's voices enchanting to listen to.

I found in a stack of my old CDs a copy of "City of Angels" which I didn't even know I owned - it was under Nickleback and Ben Folds Five I think. I put it in and got chills listening to "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette. It was incredible. I can't wait to buy more CDs and to have time to just sit...and listen. These speakers have changed how I feel about music. Now that's a good...no, a great speaker

Enough with my drooling appraisal - the true test came when I brought down my girlfriend Amanda to listen. She likes to listen to music a bit more than I do, but its usually in a car or on a little CD boombox thing. She's seen me obsess over getting this HT set up so she had one of those "okay okay"-type looks on her face as she sat down.

I turned on "Uninvited" and waited....her expression quickly changed to amazement. She sat through about half the song and then turned to me and said,

"Can we get more of these for upstairs?"

WOOOOO! Oh yeah - a keeper! Oh and Amanda is too...ha! Anyhow, can there be any better of a review than that? Here's the WAF response to Ascend Acoustics: "BUY MORE!" Haha, nope, doesn't get any better than that. And I think I will investigate a 2-channel setup for upstairs when the HT is done....hmmm....

Thanks Dave F., James, and everyone at Ascend. Keep doing what you're doing!!!

Next up: Finishing the HT, choosing a sub...Another updated review to follow when the speakers are finally set up in the home theater and I have a change to do a calibration and listen to some movies.

Jon Oliva
    Jon O.

hi jon,

i am currently listening to roy orbison & friends on inhd2 dd 5.1 and the sound is just like you are there...except it is in black and white

this time i have the 340s instead of the 170s but i couldn't agree with you more these 170s are really amazing aren't they?

Jon, I couldn't agree more. My 340/170 setup was originally intended as a movie only system. Music was for the car, you know? Boy, was I floored when my wife and I started to turn off the TV, and turn on some music on the weekend when we were puttering around the house or out on the porch. My 340's in 2 channel stereo with my VTF3-MkII filling in that last octave will make a movie freak like me change his religion. Wait till you get everything set up and calibrated.
    - EVH III

Yup - they really are something special. I thought my Klipsch Promedia's had great bang for the buck (which they do at <$400), but the step up was very very large. The Ascends just make the music feel alive...and real. I'm drooling again...

And yes, I think I will defiantely be setting up a 2-channel system upstairs in the coming months....I mean, can't argue with the lady She wants some Ascends for upstairs...then hell! Let's get some!
    Jon O.

Here's the WAF response to Ascend Acoustics: "BUY MORE!" Haha, nope, doesn't get any better than that.

IT was the same for me and my wife when we went to audition these speakers at kpt krunch's place. we were amazed at how well these speakers produce human sounds. she loves there sound so much so she told me she wanted me to get the 340's instead of the 170's. how is that right off the bat to get the high end sound. you cant go wrong with these speakers and the price. to me their perfect. oh yeah im also a movie buff, but as soon as i get these speakers im going to music as well. 50/50.

That's great - starting out with 340s is niiice

I can't wait to finish getting things set up so I can check out my TV-show dvds like Firefly, Buffy, and CSI.....it's gonna be sweet.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    I found in a stack of my old CDs a copy of "City of Angels" which I didn't even know I owned - it was under Nickleback and Ben Folds Five I think. I put it in and got chills listening to "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette. It was incredible. I can't wait to buy more CDs and to have time to just sit...and listen. These speakers have changed how I feel about music. Now that's a good...no, a great speaker
    Thank you Jon.... That is the nicest complement anyone could offer and it is greatly appreciated!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

How do you like the H/K receiver?

Default Hk 435

I love it. It's a beast and it sounds fantastic, as well as has all the featuers I need and more. Logic-7 acts funky once in awhile and I will post more soon to see what's up (might just be my personal preferences on processed signals). I'm painting and putting up the ceiling and still setting up my system, so I am withholding my true critical observations until things are were they're supposed to be.

I have had no problems other than I think the bottom door is flimsy - I tried to pick the unit up by the front and rear and was afraid I bent it. But, in my opinion I'll take a flimsy door for fantastic sound any day of the week. The door thing is minor, and otherwise I adore the reciever - it's a great match for the Ascends.
    Jon O.

Also - Dave, I just wanted to say thanks for producing such exemplary speakers. You and your company are doing a fantastic job. I could not be happier with a set of speakers. (Unless they were 340s!)

A friend of mine who is currently using a high end Denon receiver and Klipsch RF-7's has already been over twice to audition the CBM-170s. He is bringing his sunfire subwoofer (as well as RP-82 player and interconnects) to do an additional third autdition tommorrow - he says the 170s imaging is "amazing." Judging by the fact he is bringing his sub, I bet he is a candidate for a future customer. Also, I had five friends over this evening who were amazed at how "The Incredibles" sounded. Just wanted you to know you are earning a customer or two up in Omaha, NE.
    Jon O.