Thread: Best way to audition discs...

Default Best way to audition discs...

So yesterday, I openned up my system to a friend that wanted to try his speakers on my system, he was thinking about buying a new amp. He had been to my place before to listen to the Ascends over a year ago. He owns Polk RTi's....he brought over four RTi-38's, the matching center, and some stands.

He has a very nice collection of hi-res music, and our tastes in music are similar. We spent about 3.5 hours just listening to music and chatting...I gave him full control to do what he wanted with his speakers and the music..I just kicked back.

Great music, in fact, I ordered he following discs while he was here:

Natalie Merchant-Tigerlily DVD-A
    Peter White-Glow SACD
    The Eagles-Hotel California DVD-A
    Mickey Hart-Over The Edge and Back--he Best of Mickey Hart DVD-A

He went home and ordered his amp.

A win, win situation.
    -curtis

The discs arrived on Thursday and I have been trying to listen to them since....things are busy around here with the kids.

But this morning, during breakfast, I/we listenned to The Eagles-Hotel California DVD-A. Great stuff......should have bought it sooner!
    -curtis

Crank up track 1 when you get the chance and tell me how the kick drums sound.

will do. probably tomorrow morning...the kids will be with their Mom in the morning. They don't like loud music.....go figure. They sounded good when my friend was over last weekend though.
    -curtis

Nicholas,

I listenned to that track a little more this morning before coming into the office.

To me, the kick drums sound pretty tight, but I think they are mixed a little on the hot side. Felt it in my chest eventhough the overall volume was not loud.
    -curtis

I'm starting to wonder if it's just my interpretation of the mix, because other kick drums on other titles sound much tighter on the decay. I'm probably going to dump this title though because I'm not quite thrilled by cymbols crashing in the surrounds while the rest of the drums are up front.

Same experience with Queen's "A Night at the Opera". Too gimicky.

Thanks for listening for me though.

I also noticed the cymbals coming from a different place than the drums.....made me wonder, but didn't bother me much.
    -curtis