Thread: cbm-170s + sub or cmt-340's for a budget?

Default cbm-170s + sub or cmt-340's for a budget?

Hello everyone,

I'm a poor college student looking to put together a budget stereo system without sacraficing on quality. I have a harman kardon hk3480 receiver and am looking into getting some ascend speakers. I will mainly use the system to listen to music through my computer and a cd player. I've heard that the cbm-170's lack some bass. My question is: would I be better off getting them along with the least expensive hsu subwoofer, or should I just get a pair of the cmt-340's? I'm not looking for huge booming bass, but would like it to blend well with the higher ranges.

Also, I've noticed that some other manufacturers offer blemished speakers at a discount price. Does ascend offer anything like this? This would be ideal for me because of my small budget. I wouldnt care if the speakers had any physical defects as long as the sound is not affected.

My vote would be CBM-170s and a sub since this will get you a fuller range than the 340s alone.

Ascend does sometimes have b-stock speakers, but you'll have to call and check.

I'd second the 170's and a sub for a budget 2 channel setup.
    - EVH III

I'm running a 2.1 setup in my office at my PC with the 170s and I highly recommend them. I sit about 3-4 feet away from the 170s and I have them on 36" stands (tweeter at ear level). I did purchase these 170s as B-stock and I can't find anything wrong with them at all.

I have a sealed shiva subwoofer which I really like. You are on the right track, when I toggle my sub off the music is not as enjoyable. If I were you I would call Dave F. or James G. at Ascend about which sub they would recommend. They are great to work with and you might be able to buy the speakers now and get the subwoofer when you have more money later on.

On a side note, I just bought a HK3480 off the of the ebay store yesterday. Not sure if I'm going to like it or not. I'm currently running a Panasonic SA-XR10 and while I love the way it sounds, it's a PITA to use.

Another vote for the 170's and a sub.

Randy

I'm going to buck the trend and vote for the 340's without sub. You cannot beat the amazing clarity these speakers have. Whenever I try to add a sub into the mix it just loses something. I am a part time musician and very critical listener so maybe just a little anal...or maybe I'm one of those audio purists. If you listen to alot of rap, electronica, etc you may prefer deep bass over absolute detail.

For what it's worth I haven't got a SPL meter(yet) so I balanced the sub by ear but these 340's are amazing by themseves and probably cheaper than 170's with sub.

Whenever I try to add a sub into the mix it just loses something.
    If it's uncalibrated to the mains, and you don't have an EQ to smooth the response it will definetly sound like a 16yr old's car with the "Boom whoompa whoom".

You miss alot without a sub.

My vote is for monitors/sub.

there is such a thing as a calibrated car audio setup just the same as an in-home setup. but, i doubt you'll find too many calibrated car audio setups because most are poorly designed or greatly underpowered with too much emphasis in frequencies below 80Hz for the confined area. so it's the same either way - in home needs attention just as well as in car. depends on what level the user is trying to obtain as well as personal preference. if the person in the car wants huge thumping low sound quality bass it's obtainable. if the person in the car wants refined smooth linear bass it's obtainable.

in my experience the choice between 170 and 340 largely depends on the size of your room, placement, and preference. to me, the 340s just don't fit in any other room in my house other than where i have them (in my largest room of course). the 170s are better in my smaller rooms, and ... to me ... without a sub. i thoroughly enjoy the 170s without a sub in my computer room.

like Brad said the 170s + a sub will cover a larger range than the 340s alone. and, in the future, you can use 170s as surrounds if you try the 340s for a HT setup.

hsu stf-2. my first few HT subs were low end paradigms with severely underpowered amps. i always characterized them as boomy and found poor response overall when i became critical of them with a SPL. i knew a dealer and received great pricing, so i was still fairly content. then, not too long ago, i caught the buzz about internet direct and stumbled across axiom and hsu. i tried a hsu sub and was simply enamored with the sound and nearly linear response out of the box.

vote - 170s + stf-2