Thread: Kudos to Harman Kardon!

Thumbs up Kudos to Harman Kardon!

After all my kneejerk badmouthing of Harman Kardon, here and elsewhere, I feel compelled to publicly set the record straight and give credit where credit is due. I have a bad habit of venting my frustration online (and only posting criticism) because it's anonymous and safe, thinking a few overheated, semi-unjustified rants won't cause any harm. But company's reputations are at stake, and I need to learn to reserve judgement until a situation has completely played out...

For what it's worth (and it's worth a LOT to me), all of my correspondence with HK was been extremely professional. Their reps achieve a nice blend of offering helpful suggestions w/o treating their customers like idiots, and they always reply very promptly (I've never waited more than a few hours).

Moreover, among the big companies, it seems that HK is leading the charge in the proactive category, proving they actually do listen to their customers. Earlier this year they released a software upgrade for the 430s and 630s that improved upon certain features, added entirely new ones (DPLIIx), and even offered up some beguiling possibilities for automated control of an AVR with your PC. The upgrade was user-friendly, only required a serial port and cable, and worked flawlessly.

But most importantly, HK receivers just sound GOOD (especially with the Ascends). Admittedly, this is my first foray into real hi-fi, but, assuming all goes well with 635 they are kindly sending me to replace my defective 630, I don't think I'll be tempted to upgrade again anytime soon.

Michael

good deal. i'm glad you're back on track now. enjoy.

That's good to hear - a company with a good attitude and an ability to listen to customers like that will always end up doing well I think.

I just recieved my Harman Kardon AVR-435 with my Ascends and its KILLING me that my g/f's family is in town and I don't have time to do more than open up the boxes to make sure things weren't broken....auuuugh!

ps: I can't complain because her dad is helping me build the HT room in the basement, heh.
    Jon O.

I had an issue with the 635 I purchased from David and contacted HK through email. They got back with me the next day and the reply was very professional although it was a rather "stock" answer which did not address the problem I was having. I replied, reiterating and describing in more detail the problem I was having. Again, I received a reply the next day that agreed there was a problem with the unit and it should be returned. Although I was not impressed with the QC of my particular sample, HK was very good about getting back in a very timely manner. David was also great about allowing me to return the defective 635 for credit since I decided I really wanted to go in a different direction at that point.