Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Svs 16-46 Pc+

Man, I bet you never run out of hot water now.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Nick,

Nice looking subs. I'd love to listen to a 16-46.

I don't know if you care or not, but if you've got a friend or family with some basic woodworking tools, you could make some nice bases for the concrete pavers that would match the subs and look more like furniture.

You'd cut a square piece of 3/4" plywood the same dimensions as both pavers, rip some 1x6 pine or hemlock down to size as the edge pieces, and nail them to the edges of the plywood with finish nails. Simple butt joints would be easiest. You could use a router with a 1/4 round bit to round the top and side edges of the tray to match your 170s. Then use some construction adhesive (liquid nails) to secure the concrete pavers to the new tray, and paint it black to match your subs.
    -Jim

You could send that picture to the NYC twin-towers committee!!

Off the richter!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    You could send that picture to the NYC twin-towers committee!!

Off the richter!!
    Hahahaha!

Wow, setting phase was easy enough!

Started with Sub #1 on with a "0" phase setting, and recorded 70dB. Turned on Sub #2 with a "0" phase setting and recorded 76dB. Can't get much easier than that!

Running gains on both subs at 3/8 notch levels, or ~38%. The Pre/Pro's sub level is at -5dB.

I'm going to tweak 'em with the BFD tonight (all of the above was with the BFD in bypass).

I'll do some preliminary listening in a couple hours.

Ok, calibrated sub 1 to 70dB, shut it off, turned on #2 and calibrated that to 70dB (didn't have to change anything actually). Turned #1 back on and got ~6dB increase. I guess it's just $#!t luck...

Spent the last two hours just listening without BFD. I definetly need to set it up again, but I wanted to get a taste of what I bought.

I can already tell two issues have been solved...

1. No more problems with peak impacts! Holy smokes! Aside from some room resonances, there doesn't seem to be any struggle whatsoever during the big bass classics.
    2. The bass is everywhere, I can no longer tell what side of the room the bass is coming from, because its coming from both sides now (duh)...

More to come once I knock down a few FR humps with the BFD.

Jimsiff,
    I'm a single guy without any needed WAF. Concrete pavers look good to me!

any feedback from the neighbors yet?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    any feedback from the neighbors yet?
    Nope, thankfully not.

Ok, here is a current floorplan of the room. I had to swap the subs to the outside of the FL & FR because I may go with a 92" screen over a 72" if visible pixelation isn't too too bad. My 5.0m sub cable was just long enough...

Here is the best front soundstage shot I can manage. I'm standing just outside the doorway depicted above on the floorplan. Everyone tells me I should go atleast 92" for a screen given my ample wall realestate. Problem is 72" is the max suggested for my viewing distance of 8' (eyeball to wall). I'll be able to determine what I can go with once I pick up a PJ, sometime in mid-July I'm guessing. This is a mock 72"er.

Anyhoo, I ran sine waves tonight and plotted them. This is without the BFD. I almost crapped myself as I ran the tones until I hit 55-60Hz. Pretty flat from 12Hz to 50Hz. I'm going to play with Phase tomorrow turning both knobs at the same rate to see if I can get a better blend with the mains. If not, I'm going to work with this. My plan will be to gently slope the curve down to ~78dB @ 55Hz and cut the 65-75Hz range down to ~76dB. I illustrated this too. Not perfect, but we'll see.

Getting too late to crank the subs (after 10pm here) so they'll have to wait until tomorrow...
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 05-25-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Adjusted the phase of both subs to 180 (also tried 90 which was worse), recalibrated each sub alone to 70dB, and verified a +5-6dB increase with both running. This smoothed out the blending with my mains creating less significant valleys at 60 & 80Hz.

My subs and mains are calibrated to 85dB@00dB on my Master Volume.
    This caused the BFD to light up red bars on Master and Commander, so both sub gains were set to 50% and sub level in my pre/pro is set at -12dB. Just green bars now.

Not quite happy with my curve quite yet, but here is my first quick attempt.
    I need to slope that 40-60Hz region down more, and possibly take a little off the 20Hz peak. I was also naughty and used a couple positive "bump" filters at 60 and 80Hz. I figured with the amount of headroom I have and the fact that these are higher frequencies it shouldn't hurt anything. Post testing didn't indicate any struggle at these frequencies with ~100dB of output via Sine waves so it should be ok. This curve was also generated with only 3 filters!

More to come along with a final review once I get the FR curve to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    More to come along with a final review once I get the FR curve to my liking.
    And...?
    -Jim