Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Svs 16-46 Pc+

Good recommendations.

I need to do more measurements with my setup, but room gain has a lot to do with what you can achieve below 25hz. After showing my graphs to people, not a whole lot I can do with the BFD to make things nicer.

When I measure next, I will do 1/6th octave as oppose to 1/24th octave, people seem to think I will get a pretty smooth graph that way.

In comparing subs, there is really more to the sound than all the measurements that seem to be available. I know what I have heard and it is very good learning experience.

My choice? VTF-3MK2 without BFD for now...especially if you are going to be more HT than music(although we know that changes with Ascends) Get a BFD later, or another EQ device that is on the horizon.

You can also try b-stock.
    -curtis

Question Long answer...and more Q's...

chas - thanks, I have seen the SVS graphs which is nice of them (I see they fixed their 20-39 graph link finally), but I can't seem to find one for the HSU subs.

sensibull - nice ebays grabs! I'll make sure to look.

Nicholas/jim/curtis - Thanks for all the info - as always I appreciate the help. Let me answer the questions as best I can and pose a few more.

EQ - My $700 budget doesn't include a BFD, just the sub . First I'm going to see how the HK-435 does with eq'ing the sub, and if I don't get good enough results I'll bypass or compliment it with a BFD later on. I am curious exactly how the 435 eq's the sub (cuts vs gains, # of bands, etc). I already have Avia and I'll be picking up a Rat Shack meter (of course!) pretty soon.

Room - My room is kind of a rectangle that is missing a chunk. It's approximately 17'9" x 24'6" x 7'1" (to drop ceiling, 4" more to wood beams), but one corner is missing 8'6" x 3'9" for a storage room. About 2850sq ft if I did the math correctly. That's the gist of it, but here's a detailed layout of it:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/109804667bgmVCV
    (third photo)

The room is in my basement, so under the carpet is concrete. The drop ceiling is 1" thick foam tile (cuts higher freq reflections pretty well), and the walls are 1/2" drywall and 1" rigid foam insulation over concrete. Yup, no wall studs. The walls are abosultely non-resonant on three sides. That should help me out I think. I have about 48 sq ft of 4" acoustic foam and 8 4" corner blocks to help also, but that's for >125hz, so NA here. DIY bass traps are an option.

Options - I think I'm looking for output in the mid/high ranges since I like to turn my movies up a bit, but I'm not nuts. I can't afford to damage my hearing since they are important to my job. I'd like to pressurize the room and get a better than theater experience with movies.

I need to go do some auditions around town at the B&M places to see what I enjoy. A friend from AVS has one of the new Outlaw LFM-1's - I'll probably bring my 170s over to check it out. Another friend has a small sunfire that I will check out also for comparison's sake.

SVS vs HSU - Don't want to open any cans other than beer (although I prefer bottled), but can anyone point me in the direction of some forum threads that aren't flame wars that have some good honest opinions on the subs in my price range? I feel like I have a ton of options and it's very difficult to make a decision. Anyhow, Here are the ones I am investigating more in depth. If you can think of another I should consider please let me know

SVS 1646PCi, 20-39PCi (I can only go to a PC+ if it's ABSOLUTELY worth it, cause it'll hurt)
    SVS PB-12 ISD/V
    Hsu VTF-3 MKII (or HO? dunno what price that will be)
    Outlaw LFM-1

Thanks!
    Jon O.

SVS 1646PCi, 20-39PCi (I can only go to a PC+ if it's ABSOLUTELY worth it, cause it'll hurt)
    SVS PB-12 ISD/V
    Hsu VTF-3 MKII (or HO? dunno what price that will be)
    Outlaw LFM-1

From reading approximately one and a half million posts on subwoofers over the past two years, I'd say you will be very happy with which ever you choose from the above. I would concentrate on non-SQ issues. Why not draw up a chart of pluses and minuses for each.
    A few to start.

How large a water heater is acceptable?
    Upgradability. VTF-3 get a big plus in my book on this one if the turbo turns out the way it's being marketed.
    Infrasonics.
    Lastest and greatest driver.
    PRICE
    WAF?

I'm holding off till Fall. By that time, all the new introductions should be out with lots of feedback.

David

Default SVS vs HSU!?!?!?! :P

From reading approximately one and a half million posts on subwoofers over the past two years, I'd say you will be very happy with which ever you choose from the above
    Yup, that's about what I had figured out. It sucks though I wish choices in this hobby were more clear, but that would take the fun out of it. As far as your eval criteria - good stuff. That'll help me figure it out...

1- Any size water heater is acceptable. Got to love the dedicated HT. Bigger the better I guess!
    2- Upgrades....hmm. Interesting. A neat option, and a plus, but not a minus to those that don't offer this route; because it still costs more money later.
    3- Infrasonics - I need to go do some listening around town, but I think I'd like to get some decent extension below 20hz. I want to feel the music and the movies.
    4- Driver - I don't care if the driver is 500 years old if it sounds better than a new shiny techy one.
    5- Price - my budget expands and contracts depening on my mood and how much I want to spend on my new mountain bike hobby or my older offroading one. But, about $700 is where I am drawing the line. I need my payraise later this month though :P
    6- WAF = girlfriend approval factor which is "get whatever". She's the one who listened to the Ascends and said "let's buy more for upstairs!". So, I could put four subs downstairs and it'd be no problem. It's the man cave/dungeon home theater.

I'm not sure if I can wait until the fall, but we'll see. I guess I am most concerned about choosing between SVS's lower extension and Hsu's quick/musical reputation. Hard choice.

Thanks for the advice so far...
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    6- WAF = girlfriend approval factor which is "get whatever". She's the one who listened to the Ascends and said "let's buy more for upstairs!". So, I could put four subs downstairs and it'd be no problem. It's the man cave/dungeon home theater.
    It is becoming more clear now. Upstairs, she wants Ascends for her own enjoyment while she has you locked up in the dungeon.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    It is becoming more clear now. Upstairs, she wants Ascends for her own enjoyment while she has you locked up in the dungeon.
    Every married audio nut's dream.

David

Default :)

yup....a pretty good deal
    Jon O.

Talking interim solution

Well, I figured out an interim subwoofer solution...

My Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 System Sub!

Heh, yup, I hooked up my computer speaker sub with a 1/8" jack to mono plug thingy to the AVR435's sub preout....and it works. Given, this is just a computer speaker sub, but it's dual 8" drivers aren't too bad. It'll tide me over until I can get a real sub.

Some specs from the Promedias
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    25Hz-20kHz +/- 5dB

AMPLIFIER POWER:
    FTC Rated Subwoofer: 170 watts @ ≤ 3% THD , 40 - 100Hz

SUBWOOFER:
    Dual 8" side-firing fiber composite drivers

Hehehe...
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 05-07-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Jon O.

Dang, now I know the meaning of spectral decay...or the lack thereof. Sheesh.

Harry potter today:

Thomp...
    Rummmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbble...(for 5 seconds)

heh, oh well.
    Jon O.

Well I just ordered another 5.0m Outlaw Audio subwoofer cable along with their Y-Adapter. Another SVS 16-46 PC+ will be on the way next Friday. I almost had enough to get it today, but I decided to hold off one more week so I could eat T-Bones instead of Ramen...

Then the veil of Valhalla will be breached and I should have audio bliss in my mini-cinema. Of course the process of saving up for a projector will then begin...

Then leather Berkline seating... then an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player... then...