Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Svs 16-46 Pc+

I don't think it's so much the factor of 'audibility" as it is "feelibility."

Most people can't hear too much below 20 HZ. Sub 20 Hz low frequencies can be audible to some people if they are played loud enough. It's more the idea of being able to feel the low bass. Have you ever been in a church with a pipe organ where you could actually feel it playing the petal tones? Thats the sort of feeling alot of people are looking for in their home system.

Lightbulb

Nicholas, just how loud do you play your system? I've not yet bottomed out my sub, and we've had it up to what I consider extremely loud. If you're trying to reproduce true reference level bass, you may need more than one sub. Of course, there is the ULTRA line of SVS.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Sub-20Hz infrasonics are important for me. The common items such as pipe organs, tail-end of cannonfire, detonations/rocket lift-offs, that split second rap from lighting strikes... etc. Having extension beyond 20Hz also seems to flesh out the 20Hz-30Hz range more, as the extension drop-off is deeper and not right at the edge of those 20-25Hz spectaculars. The 16-46+ does the dirty with sub-20Hz material, but obviously a driver that is bottoming out won't work.

Lee, with my SPL meter set to fast, the highest peak I recorded was 100dB, far less than the 115dB+ reference peaks.

I'm going to run tones and retest around 4 or 5pm. My landlord has company this afternoon... I have to give him some peace before I shake the house...
    I told him weekends are going to be 9.0 on the richtor scale though...

I think you will be much happier with the 16hz tune. Isn't the lowest pipe organ note 16hz?

Other than the lowest bass, how did the upper bass sound? Or is that where it bottomed because of the lower headroom in 12hz tune?
    -curtis

Dashed Line = 12Hz Mode
    Solid Line = 16Hz Mode

My room's FR with the 1646+ in it's native 16Hz mode with all ports free.
    Biggest difference was an increase from 17-20Hz and a loss of some infrasonic material. I also found a slight increase of SPL across many parts of the curve above 20Hz. I'm going to check if it bottoms out a little later.

Many newer movies have material down to 10Hz or less. I only tried 2 DVDs, LOTR: ROTK (Frodo's Heartbeat) and The Incredibles. I didn't bottom out in LOTR, but The Incredibles bottomed out in the only 2 scenes I watched. I can tell the bass isn't completely smooth without the BFD, so I'm going to wait to comment on music until I have it EQ'd.

Could it be that you are trying to aurally overcompensate for your wee display...

(joke, joke, just a joke ;-)

But seriously, I find the term "reference" is so misleading. If I ever played my system anywhere near reference, or cranked an SVS cylinder to its limits, my wife would have me taken away for child and pet abuse. Oh to be single and not volume-challenged again...

Your landlord must be pretty chill guy to tolerate that kind of thump.

Its a big old victorian house. The front half of the first floor is his real estate business office. I have the back half of the first floor. He and his daughter live on the second floor.

I'm dead quiet after 10pm, and try to keep it down before 5pm M-F. After 5pm (& before 10pm) along with all day on the weekends I can crank it up. I like it cool (my apartment is at 55*F) and I always pay my rent a week or so early, so he never complains . We get along great... so far...

Everyone laugh it up on the ultravision 6000 display... you should hear the sound attached to those 2" explosions!!!

Nick.....and anyone else doing freq. graphs.....

Dave F. recommends NOT to use 60Hz, but rather 63Hz, as 60 may have interference issues with the 60Hz A/C current from your household outlet.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

definitely different strokes for different folks. i think that i have come to prefer a little less bass over the years. my vtf-3 mk2 is more than i'll ever need.

nicholas,

you probably would have enjoyed rides in my friend's s-10 during high school. he had two 15" subs and a host of custom power/amps setup. i walked out of there shaking. i hated it. ha he was actually pulled over by the police on more than one occasion and cited for noise pollution. whenever we were waiting for class to start at 8am our senior year i could always remember saying, "here comes brad!". jurassic park on wheels.

if you disappear for some time we'll simply know that your landlord has had enough, or you've been hit by a sound wave that has injured your lungs.

enjoy!

Actually I can't stand the "whoomp a thump thump" cars driving all over the place here. My sub isn't turned up all that loud, it actually blends nicely and you can't even tell its on until something asks for it. I don't even run it hot while watching movies like most people do. But when it's needed, you know it's there...

The lower solid line that breaks off at 35Hz is the modified FR using the BFD-Pro pEQ. The null around 95Hz was very touchy. I tried to smooth the area before and after it the best I could without kicking it down further (which I did by about 1.5-2dB).

Overall it's very smooth out to 90Hz with a steep ramp in the 20-30Hz range that rolls out relatively gentle until the pothole noted above.

Listening impressions to come soon.