Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Svs 16-46 Pc+

Do you retest after each filter? I found that I had to. Once I changed one peak, it changed everything down stream to some degree.
    I'm going to show this thread to my wife over the weekend. I want to see what kind of response I get to your pictures.

David

Yeah I test after each filter as it usually affects the frequencies above and below the filter frequency depending on bandwidth/gain.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I decided to take a break from calibrating the BFD/1646+ and threw some DVDs in. Started with "The Incredibles". Please note the following...

1. BFD is in bypass.
    2. Speakers are crossed over with sub at 80Hz.
    3. Gain on sub is at 50%.
    4. Pre/pro sub level is at +2.
    5. Master volume is at -15.

I believe the sub is bottoming out. During the rocket lift-off scene where dash is in the blast tunnel the sub really gets going (shaking the light fixtures and pressing my eyeballs in kind of get-goin') and then I heard 2 or 3 clacks coming from the sub. These weren't the rocket clacks that come from the main speakers either. I tried it 3 times, and it occured 2 out of the 3 times.

This also occurs on Disc 2 in the bonus short "Jack Jack Attack" where Jack Jack burst into flames after being shown the campfire flashcard.

I'm shutting it down until I speak with SVS.

It is bottoming. The risk of doing so is much higher when using the 12 Hz tune as opposed to the native 16 Hz tune. Ron or Tom will readily confirm this.

I know you're turned on by strong response to 10 Hz in your room, but you're "cutting off your nose to spite your face". I strongly suggest giving up 4 Hz on the bottom end - you'll still have strong output in your room to 13-14 Hz - and changing back to the native tune for the 16-46. You'll have 2-3 dB higher output at all frequencies above 16 Hz, and much less risk of bottoming with loud infrasonic material.

Well if thats the truth then thats just plain lame. If you can't run it in 12Hz mode without bottoming then whats the point? They might as well just not include those port plugs with the 16-46 model and not lead you on about a 12Hz mode.

I'm a wee-bit upset right now after dumping $900 + initial shipping for the PB10-ISD, close to $1k in total for a sub that bottoms out. I'll try it tomorrow in 16Hz mode, can't crank it up much now, it's 10:30pm here.

*calming down*...

Swapped eMail with Ron from SVS. He said that it's possible to bottom it out in 12Hz mode with one port plugged.

I'm going to try it in 16Hz mode with all ports unplugged tomorrow. It's getting too late here to crank it up much (almost 11pm).

I am still miffed that I can't run it in 12Hz mode without bottoming though. Kind of a pointless feature if you can't use it safely...

This thing definetly belts out some serious infrasonic bass. I'll see what it can do with infrasonics tomorrow in 16Hz mode.

I just removed the plug from the port (easier said than done, they go in alot easier ) and reset the 1646+ for 16Hz mode. I'll recheck the FR curve tomorrow. Atleast I didn't get too deep into creating filters with the BFD...

Don't be too hard on the sub. Unless they have some sort of limiter, which this sub doesn't, most (if not all) subs can be bottomed out if the level is high enough. I can think of three basic solutions in you case - either reduce the sub level relative to the other speakers, raise the tuning (although it still may be possible to bottom it - just more difficult), or buy a second sub. The last option is the one chosen by many people who have more money than I do...

I guess Peter Marcks was really trying to be helpful in this thread from AVS. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Nicholas, great reading as always, keep it coming and I hope this one will be the sub for you.

i agree with GaryB. running it out of tuned spec seems dangerous. although, i admire your experiments. i'm compiling a lot of info from you guys and your BFDs as well.

i'm a little at odds with what you gain from < 20Hz response? it has always been my understanding that you can't hear <20Hz. is it bragging rights, or are there real objective conclusions for < 20Hz response? seems it is measurable, but is it audible?