Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Svs 16-46 Pc+

Default Svs 16-46 Pc+

You can read the events leading up to this here...
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=851

More to come...

Hey.....what's with the water heater next to the 170's?

Holy shi.....take mushrooms Batman!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Don't make us wait too long!

I can't use the same near-field position between my left surround and couch due to the shear height of the 1646+... it interferes with the SL output!

I'm going to try it between the center channel and right main.

With the BFD in bypass mode I ran a few sine waves with the 1646+ (w/one port plugged in 12Hz mode) calibrated to 70dB with the mains...
    Note that these are UNMODIFIED readings, no RS SPL fudge factors!

75dB @ 10Hz
    87dB @ 15Hz

HOLY LOW FREQUENCY BATMAN! SECURE THE HATCHES!

Once the peaks are knocked down, and the sub rematched to the mains, these figures should be even higher! I had readings (albeit much lower) down into the single digits! I'd also like to note that the sub seems much less stressed than the PB10-ISD did in this frequency range.

I'm going to calibrate the sub w/BFD in a couple hours, I should have a final FR chart up tonight with some comments.

Like a kid in a candy store!
    -curtis

Chances of me putting that in my wife's livingroom are none and less than none. Enjoy it Nicholas. I'm jealous.

David

Damn that's a tall sub. I bet it sounds great. Like Bikeman, the WAF factor for that sub in my house is ZERO. I'd never get away with that. I had a hard enough time when my wife saw the VTF-3.
    -Jim

When I was considering getting one of the SVS cylinders last fall, my wife was initially resistant to the idea, but, over time, seemed to become more and more accepting. When I finally decided on the PB10, she was somewhat disappointed that we weren't going to have an interesting-looking cylinder tucked in the corner of our family room.

I guess if and when I decide to upgrade to something like the PC-Ultra, I won't have to do much arm-twisting after all - as long as she doesn't know the price...

Like I said in that other forum:

Don't get evicted.

Yup, she's friggen huge. It looks even bigger in real life. I could fit one of my CBM-170s + it's 30" stand inside one of these no prob'.
    (Also note my sexy widescreen 1080p 13" display mounted on an extra 30" stand). Yes, yes, the plasma/front projector is next.

Anyhoo, this is my initial frequency response with the BFD in bypass (modified using RS SPL meter fudge factors). I played with phase for awhile (which did little) and found this to be the easiest curve for me to hit with the BFD P-EQ. My attack strategy is going to be to place a nice n' smooth decline from 87dB at 30Hz to roughly 83dB at 90Hz. I'll be left with a slight 2-3dB null from ~90Hz to 103Hz. Then I'll put an aggressive cut in after that to battle the 105Hz to 120Hz peak (to eliminate whatever oomph if any that the sub is contributing in that range). Then the sub will get turned up a few dB.

Please note the 97dB peak at 10Hz...

Off to the BFD...