Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receiver question

by the way...I thought the mids on the M22 were pretty clean.

-curtis

I listen to a lot of 80's music. I also listen to some soft rock, some Jewel, Alanis Morissette (I don't what know what they are classified as), and a little bit more of classical (mostly Mozart). But no matter what I listen to, whether it's deeper stuff or not, I always feel that quite a bit is missing without the subwoofer with the front bookshelf speakers that I've listened to so far. Except maybe the one time I thought the bass was pretty good without the subs is the Boston Acoustics VR-M60's. But I've to go back and listen to them again to confirm that, but they are anyway beyond the price range that I'm looking for.

BTW, the M22's to me sound like good music but coming from behind some kind of an 'acoustic veil/screen' and the Ascends sound to me like that this 'screen' is removed.

btw, have any of you ever experiment with Yamaha. I am very intrested in their new reciever line up coming out this fall, and I would like to know how well they make the Ascends sound. 10x

Oz

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ganesh

BTW, the M22's to me sound like good music but coming from behind some kind of an 'acoustic veil/screen' and the Ascends sound to me like that this 'screen' is removed.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Interesting. I didn't hear it that way. If anything, I think the M22 sounded a little thin.

When I heard the Rocket RS150, that is when I thought something was covering the speaker.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by EngenZerO

btw, have any of you ever experiment with Yamaha. I am very intrested in their new reciever line up coming out this fall, and I would like to know how well they make the Ascends sound. 10x
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ozzie...go for it and report back!

-curtis

Curtis,
    I'm using a H/k AVR-225 which sounds excellent. Mainly listening to smooth Jazz Red Book CD,SACD and DVD-Audio.Plus DVD-Video. In your opinion, what benefit would I receive upgrading to H/K-525,beside the various crossover options. Wattage Output is similar. H/k sub crossover is set at 100 when speakers are set to small.

CBM-170 mains
    CMT-340 center
    HTM-200 surrounds
    DVD-Denon DVD2900
    Receiver-H/k-AVR225

How are you liking that Denon 2900?

I don't think it will sound much different at all...especially in two channel. The nicest features of the 525 are the bass management capabilities of the 6/8 channel analog inputs, and the triple crossover.

The triple crossover allows be to cross at different points for the mains, center, and surrounds...which I have set at 60hz, 60hz, and 80hz. For your setup I would cross at 80hz, 60hz, and 100hz.

-curtis

The 525 also adds pre-outs which allow you to use a separate amp if you want.

Liking the denon-DVD2900 very much. Listening to Sacd/DVD-Audio was an awakening to how one should really enjoy music.Regular CD playback has improved much over the panny CP-72/and H/K DVD50 multidisc player I upgraded from. Picture has improved greatly over both cp72/dvd50, much more clarity,detail and 3d quality and smoothness.Did not experience any of the base management problems noted by some,probably due the H/K225 having the capability of sub gain in the 6 channel imput. Had to increase sub channel +9 to get the type of bass that blended well with DD,DTS,SACD,DVD-Audio and CD. Going back and forth between receiver/DVD2900 DD & DTS,CD format processing,the 2900 has the edge in crispness of sound and openess.However some movies and CDs sound better using the HKs sound processing. I guess I'll remain with HK-225 for now. Thanx for the feedback Guys.

For fans on the HK 325 or 525, check out www.costco.com
    They have them both, plus their usual forever return policy. The 325 is $449. They aren't HK authorized, so instead of the warranty, costco will give you a refund if you have a problem. (Or just change your mind.)