Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver question

I have not heard them side by side. It is my perception that the Denon is not as warm as the HK. But this is up to debate, some say that receivers, and more so amps, do not sound different. I think I have heard differences

I used to have a Marantz SR4300, and when I switched to the HK 525, there was a noticeable difference in my 170's at the time. More clearity and detail. Of course there is also a difference of almost three times the retail price as well.

No up conversion on the 525.

I am looking to get a multichannel amp, and use my 525 as a pre/pro, then eventually get a dedicated pre/pro.

-curtis

I have an H/K 120 and I love it. I can only imagine what my 170's would sound like with the power of the 525.

smokey is offline Forum Founder
    Volunteer Administrator

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Paul_Fisher

I have an H/K 120 and I love it. I can only imagine what my 170's would sound like with the power of the 525.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Paul, you might want to check out this deal if you are seriously interested in the 525. Pretty good price.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_19089.htm

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

Smokey, that is a smokin' deal on a 525....the 325 deal is nice too.

The only issue I would have is that these are refurbs, which is itself I have no issue with, but if there is a problem, Onecall makes you deal with HK directly. So if you get a lemon, you can't return it and have to deal with a service center.

For $511, I think it is worth it, and $386 for the 325Z.

-curtis

smokey is offline Forum Founder
    Volunteer Administrator

Curtis,

For sure, that is relevant, but I've gotten 2 refurb H/K components on Ebay (auctions from Harman factory direct) and have had absolutely no problems (knock wood!) with them. Still, it is a way to get some quality items at pretty reasonable prices.

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

agreed....check out harmanaudio.com for good prices on HK refurb gear.

-curtis

Why was asking about 525 is this. Everyone that has listened to the 340's say that it's got pretty good base. In fact, Dave (of Ascend) suggested to try the speakers out with the matching stands so they won't be too boomy! But from what I've listened to them their base doesn't seem to be significant. And I don't mean base in the subwoofer vicinity, I mean even lower-mid base. So I was wondering if the HK's crossover freq control for each channel makes a difference here as opposed to the Denon's 'small/large' settings on the fronts.

What are you comparing the bass too? Maybe you are relating boomy to be good bass? Boomy to me means resonating bass...not tight bass.

Make sure you have good clearance behind the speaker. I have about 16 inches to the back wall. And make sure the front speaker is at least flush with the front of the bookshelf to make sure the bookshelf does not cause any reflections. Mine actually actually about a half inch extended from the front of the bookshelf.

If you want boominess....set the speaker to large and move the speaker closer to the back wall an inch at a time.....I think you will hear begin to hear boominess.

-curtis

I have my speakers on the matching stands (about 22 inch high) and they are about 16 inches off the back wall. I'm comparing the bass to the Axioms. The base on the 340's sound pretty much the same as the M22's. In fact the 340's sound more clear and open and in comparison the M22's sound less clear and "muffled" but because of this 'muffled'ness the M22's at times sound bit more bassy. The M22's are also on small stands and are set further apart from each other compared to the 340's.
    In other words, to my taste, none of these speakers have bass good enough to say a subwoofer is not needed even for music. I mean they are not even close to that. (I understand for HT the subwoofer is an absolute must, I'm talking about only music.)

Thanks,
    Ganesh.

Very interesting.

I found the bass on the M22's comparable to the 170's. In fact the 170's sounded like they had more because of the "fullness" of the sound.

The 340's definitely play deeper than the 170's.

What kind of the material are you listening to? Maybe you need to find deeper stuff?

-curtis