Thread: Question

Default Question

Hey Guys,

Got a pretty newbie-ish question here. I left my power cord at my apartment and over the spring break, I think one of my roommates misplaced it and totally lost track of it. Over the break, I used a computer cable to power my stuff. The problem here is that the female end of the power cord, the one that goes into the receiver accepts 3 prongs, but my receiver only has 2 prongs out. I took a look at the third hole, and it was a ground.

The question here, is should I buy a new cord, if so which cord, or am I going to be ok?

Rather not ruin a $1000 receiver over something as stupid as a power cord if you know what I mean.

Tia,
    C'est

I use disposable receivers so I wouldn't hesitate to adapt the power cord du jour to the situation. But with a thousand dollar receiver I might have second thoughts? Power cords are pretty inexpensive so it might be worth peace of mind to get the exact cord.

David

That third hole is safety ground. If your reciever does not utilize a safety ground then you'll be OK with the 3 wire cord...the ground is simply inop in this situation. I'm surprised at the amount of gear out there that does not utilize a safety ground. My guess is that the manufacturers are trying to eliminate ground loop issues so they insulate the components adequately.

Randy

Exclamation

As long as the power cord you are using has at least 14ga wire, you should be ok. Look at the jacket of the power cord, you should see something like 14/3(14ga, 3 conductor) somewhere. Since the receiver does not need the 3rd wire ground, it is not a problem if the cord supplies it.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Thanks for the replies guys. So stuff like amps, current, and all that stuff doesn't really matter? I'll take a look at it when I get home next weekend (I'm in college right now).

Thanks for having replies that don't mention how I have to upgrade to XXX cable that is $1000, with silver conductor, and silver plating because it will make leaps and bounds in improvments, or at the very least...M******, which I can see why people hate more and more each day.

C'est

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie
    Thanks for the replies guys. So stuff like amps, current, and all that stuff doesn't really matter? I'll take a look at it when I get home next weekend (I'm in college right now).

Thanks for having replies that don't mention how I have to upgrade to XXX cable that is $1000, with silver conductor, and silver plating because it will make leaps and bounds in improvments, or at the very least...M******, which I can see why people hate more and more each day.

C'est
    Amps matter, but the 14/3 conductor that Lee mentioned will handle a 15 amp load. You wouldn't even draw 1/3 of that during normal use.

Upgraded power cords are a waste of money, IMO. If 14 and 12 gauge solid core Romex cable is good enough for in-wall, and heavy gauge aluminum cable is good enough for service entrance connections, then your basic shielded 14/2 or 14/3 stranded power cable is more than adequate for any device drawing less than 10 amps.
    Last edited by jimsiff; 04-03-2005 at 06:27 PM.
    -Jim

Thanks you learn something new everyday