Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My HK AVR 630 just died

Yeah, I've definetly been won over by the incredible customer service of places like Ascend. They even have an easy to find phone number!

A couple years ago it took almost an hour to find the direct 800 number to Amazon.com. I ended up calling toll-free directory assistance and speaking with a representative to hunt it down. Unbelieveable.

Last time I had a problem with electronics was with my cell phone service. I tried calling twice with no help. I lit my phone on fire, took a picture of it, and sent a picture of it by mail to sprint. Somehow that got their attention and they called back. I cancled my service and threw the plastic globule in a grinder at work. Haven't had a cell phone since, and don't plan to.

Thumbs up

Whaddya ya know, sometimes persistence has its rewards and big bad companies don't let you down...

Here's the latest email from the backup online HK rep:

"I am very sorry to hear of the repeat trouble with your receiver and I would be more than happy to assist in replacing your receiver for a new AVR 635. Could you please forward me your contact phone number so I can begin processing your return authorization? I will also send you a prepaid UPS shipping label so there will be no charge for shipping you unit to us for exchange."

So at least I get an upgrade for my troubles, and one with a EzSet/EQ function no less. Now I'm wondering if I need the BFD...

That's great. Good to hear HK is working with you on this one.

I don't know about the 635, but many receivers don't EQ the sub output. Even if they did, most receivers only have 1, maybe 2 EQ bands in the sub frequency range.
    -Jim

Thumbs up

Nice!

"Now I'm wondering if I need the BFD..."

The receiver's EQ function is different from what the BFD does. It would be my guess that the BFD would make the receiver's EQ work even better. No low freq peaks to compensate for.

David

I've had my HK 635 for about a month now and have had very little problems with it. I got mine from a company on eBay at a significant discount. I had to fight with them on shipping delays, but the receiver finally arrived and is in working order. I'm using it with some old (1970's) Pioneer speakers trying to save up for a nice 5 piece set of Ascends.

The only problems I've had with mine have been when I've watched a couple movies from my HTPC. It's connected via the SPDIF input. Every now and then the computer barfs and it causes the HK635 to stop responding. Only recourse I've had is to power off the unit and power it on again. Don't you love it when computers don't get along??

just got an e-mail from ac4l marantz 7400 for $649.99 NEW shipped if that's an option

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    I don't know about the 635, but many receivers don't EQ the sub output. Even if they did, most receivers only have 1, maybe 2 EQ bands in the sub frequency range.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    The receiver's EQ function is different from what the BFD does. It would be my guess that the BFD would make the receiver's EQ work even better. No low freq peaks to compensate for.
    I somehow missed your response on this David. You raise some very interesting possibilities re: integrating the BFD and the 635, and have me hoping I didn't just waste $$ on a BFD. I just slogged through about half of a 29-page thread re: the capabilities of the H/K 635 on AVS, and while I was extremely disappointed to learn that the 635 does not offer bass management or EQ on its 8 hi-rez analog inputs (a feature included on the 630), I was surprised to hear that its low frequency digital EQ was the best on the market in this price range. I still need to do some research regarding how many bands it offers, etc. but the input of at least one poster suggested the BFD would be superfluous.

"My SVS had a huge hump in my room at about +20 dB around 40-50 Hz. Now its +or- 4 dB from 120Hz to 20Hz. Amazing."

So, I guess I'm a little confused as to how I go about testing the BFD's usefulness in my situation. Would I configure the BFD before applying any of the 635's EZset/EQ tests? And furthermore, based on all accounts the EQ implementation of the 635 is top-notch, and comes with an accurate mic. Can I assume I could use that instead of a Radio Shack SPL (which I have yet to purchase)?
    Last edited by sensibull; 04-12-2005 at 09:39 AM.

"Would I configure the BFD before applying any of the 635's EZset/EQ tests?"

Yes. That's the only way that makes sense to me. I'd be interested in hearing an alternate view.
    You're in a very good situation. You can do this with the BFD and then without. If it turns out the BFD isn't needed, it's an easy resell. For sure let us know the results if you go this route.

David