Thread: Sonics Terminology

Imaging is strongly impacted by the room with any speakers. Everything from distance to rear and side walls, distance between speakers and to the listener, toe-in of the speakers, obstructions, flooring materials (causing different reflections), etc can impact imaging and other properties. The room is the often overlooked major item in audio.

Certainly some recordings have better imaging than others (natually something like an old mono recording cannot have stereo imaging).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BradJudy

Imaging is strongly impacted by the room with any speakers. Everything from distance to rear and side walls, distance between speakers and to the listener, toe-in of the speakers, obstructions, flooring materials (causing different reflections), etc can impact imaging and other properties. The room is the often overlooked major item in audio.

Certainly some recordings have better imaging than others (natually something like an old mono recording cannot have stereo imaging).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Interesting that you mention old mono recordings - the disc that made me believe that I was hearing the depth again was Patsy Cline 12 Greatest Hits. http://www.patsy.nu/records/mca-12.html These songs were all recorded in the 60's. I don't know if they were originally recorded in stereo or not. They just seemed to have a great deal of depth to me. I'd be glad to hear anything on this that anyone knows. I possibly just had too much to drink []

I certianly don't mean this to sound like a negative question about the Ascends. If anything, I'm extremely pleased that I'm experiencing that 3d quality at all. These speakers are the first that I've ever owned that do that. My questions are more about particular recordings and room setup effects.

It didn't seem negative at all.

Like Brad says, imaging is great impacted on many factors in the room.

If you think you have good imaging now...then you probably have the speakers set-up pretty well.

-curtis