Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Management

Lucky or unlucky...depending how you look at it, my P-965 is handling the bass management and delays.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I don't think the ICBM can adjust for distance settings, right?
    Correct... and you can't adjust delay on the player, or your bass definition will suffer due to time/phase misalignment. Any delay will have to occur after the ICBM.

So Curtis, the P-965 does bass management and delay for the analog 5.1 input? Man, that alone is a feature worth $200-300 in my book. Without it you have to add an ICBM and still forget about speaker delay. What's street price on a P-965? I know MSRP is $1500.
    -Jim

Bass management on analog inputs isn't that uncommon (I think Curtis's prior recevier - H/K AVR-525 did that), but I don't know about delays. Curtis: did your 525 do delays on the analog inputs too?

Street I believe is around $1200.

The unlucky or downside is that to do the bass management, the P-965 has to digitize the the signal. So it a purist's eyes....it is a bad thing. Currently, the only way to get the 5.1 analog inputs to passthru untouched is to set all the speakers to large....and it is a hassle to do that whenever I want to listen to DVD-A or SACD. So I have elected just to let the P-965 do everything.

What is interesting though, on two-channel bass management, there is a "Pure Audio" mode that offers analog bass management with a fixed crossover at 80Hz.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Bass management on analog inputs isn't that uncommon (I think Curtis's prior recevier - H/K AVR-525 did that), but I don't know about delays. Curtis: did your 525 do delays on the analog inputs too?
    I think so...but I do not remember.

Interstingly, I believe HK has deleted this feature on their new receivers.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    So Curtis, the P-965 does bass management and delay for the analog 5.1 input? Man, that alone is a feature worth $200-300 in my book. Without it you have to add an ICBM and still forget about speaker delay. What's street price on a P-965? I know MSRP is $1500.
    I saw this on audiogon. It might do the trick.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....cvr&1117075480

David