Thread: Wood Tech Speaker Stands MU-24/CC-28

Default Wood Tech Speaker Stands MU-24/CC-28

Has anyone used this brand or these models? They look good - hidden wires, spikes, pads, fillable on the L/R....

http://www.wood-tech.com/product.php?cat=ss&series=mu
    MU-24: 24" L/R, 6.5"x6.5" top plate - $63/pair

http://www.wood-tech.com/product.php?cat=ss&series=cc
    CC-28: 28" Center, 16"x8" top plate - $42ea

That 4" offset would get the tweaters close to level between the CBM-170 L/Rs and the CMT-340c correct? And does anyone think the top place dimensions would be too small or unsafe?

Just curious
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 03-31-2005 at 10:32 AM.
    Jon O.

I have heard/read good things about them. Where are you getting those prices?

I think 24" is too low for the 170's.
    -curtis

http://store.cousinsvideo.com/dbl-cc-28e.html

and

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/woodtechnology.html

SJ charges a lot of shipping so I'll probably get the MU's from Cousins for $76 (and cousin's has the newer CC, not the older CT)

If you take a look at my diagrams in the other thread, I meaured ear height to be 30-34" if I remember. I was trying to get the spot between the tweeter and the woofer on the CBM-170 right around 32". Is that still too low? Even though its pretty much aligned with the 340? I can go higher no problem if I should....
    Jon O.

I'm using the 30" stands(your first link) with my 170's.

They match the asthetics of the 170's perfectly. I filled the larger, front column with sand. I also substituded the foam discs supplied with the stands with some rubber, flat-topped pyramid shaped ones. The supplied ones were too slippery and allowed the speakers to shift if bumped. I do not use any sort of Fun-Tac(Blu-Tac) material whatsoever and they stay put.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Good to know - I think I will fill them also. What is your measured ear height while listening and how does that compare to where the 30" stand puts the 170's tweeter. Curtis got me thinking and I think I will go with the 30"...the 170s look cool framing the sides of the PJ screen instead of sitting below it
    Jon O.

I never measured ear height. They initially looked too tall when I set them up. They are just right though. Better to be slightly above than below ear level I believe is the recommendation from Dave.

I have a 6 year old and a 10 year old who get frighteningly close to the speakers at times, but have never had a problem. Actually, when I still had my Vandersteen 1B's, a 36" tower speaker, my son, who was maybe 3 or 4, knocked one backwards into the closest corner to it, putting a scratch in the top plate.

I ain't too worried 'bout them stands!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Johnny,

Thanks a bunch, I've been looking around for good but affordable speaker stands, the WoodTechs look awesome! Never heard of Cousin's Video before but I'll try them...have you ever ordered from them before?

My experience with speaker stands has been that the higher they are the more open, dynamic, and room-filling the sound seems to get, at least to my ears. This may be in large part due to my living room having 18 foot vaulted ceilings, though.

No problem - I ordered them a few days ago and they should be shipping soon. I haven't ordered from Cousin's before but hopefully it'll all go well - I'll post when I get them in.

My living room has vaulted ceilings also, but this is going downstairs in the rec/HT room that only has a 7' ceiling (which is covered in foam tiles....the inner metal tracks of which I bet are going to rattle like hell ...but we'll see...)
    Jon O.